• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

display broken. phone not detected by windows. need access to contacts

72wildcard

Lurker
Aug 6, 2014
Hi dear community

Here is the situation. My phone fell, the display is completely black, except for a crack in it which lights up when I push the turn-on-button.

When the phone fell, the battery fell out, so it is now in the state where the SIM-Pin-Code is demanded.

When I connect the device to windows, the windows explorer recognizes a Removable Disk ( D: ). When right-clicked on the symbol and checked for properties-hardware, windows recognizes HTC Android Phone USB Device.

When double-clicked on the symbol, windows shows (empty folder).

When first inserted a micro-SD, then connected, then double-clicked, I can actually access the micro-SD. But still no data saved on the phone.

I tried different programs such as HTC Sync, MyPhone-Something, I tried installing a Connect-Display-Via-USB-To-PC-App over the SD-card but failed miserably.

I use Windows 8.1, I don't know wheter my phone is set for USB-access and I really need your thoughts on HOW TO GET MY CONTACTS BACK.

sorry for the long text....

Hi there 72wildcard. Welcome to Android Forums! :)

When you setup your contacts, did you specifically set them to save to your phone only? If not, then they will be backed up to your Google gmail account. Go to a PC and log in to gmail using the same email address that the phone is registered to. Then on the left side click on contacts. If they are all there, then the next phone you get using the same gmail address will sync those contacts and you haven't lost anything.

As for getting them by plugging the phone into a USB port, unless you had a sync or backup option set prior to breaking the phone, you can't really go back and get that information off your phone. Sorry.

Reactions: D-U-R-X
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones