• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Display cracked while in my pocket

There are so many variables that play into a stress fracture like the one the OP had.

Our office has 5 S4's and 3 S3's out in the field right now. Service Technicians and Sales people. So far we've had no issues with screen damage, with nearly six months on some of the S4s and over a year on some of the S3s.

Mine took a swan dive onto the parking lot about 2 weeks ago. Shattered the spigen glass screen protector, but the phone itself was just fine.

Upvote 0
Wow. Like others in this thread, this is really making me reconsider.

I'm one of those people who has never used a case and never had a problem with breaks/cracks/whatever. (OK, there was the slightest little chip on the housing of one of my Bionics, but that was a factory refurb, and I'm honestly not sure if it came that way.) But I keep the phone in a dedicated pouch in my purse, where it seems pretty happy.

I don't like cases because I don't really want anything between me and my phone, but it's starting to sound like preserving this phone for the next 20 months without a case will be a matter of great good luck and (perhaps) divine intervention.

Upvote 0
Sorry to hear about your screen. (Something I never want to experience.)

I love my S4 and out of all the phones I've had, Motorola Backflip and Atrix 4G, the S4 is the lightest and there is no metal on it. (Its all plastic.) From the first time I picked up my phone when purchased, I felt it would get screen damaged easier because of being plastic and slippery. I have an Outterbox Commuter case along with a Zagg Shield screen protector on. (I carry my S4 in a belt holster as well.) I've drop my S4 a few times on carpet and concert with no damage, I believe, due to the case and screen protector.

For me, I can deal with a little bulk knowing that I have a good form of protection for my phone.

Upvote 0
I have no qualms about the Galaxy line of phones being plastic. Unfortunately Apples strong cult like worshippers along with their marketing expertise and influence over people, has convinced the masses that Aluminum is superior.

After very close scrutiny of the inside & outside of my SGS 4, I find it very well designed. Side by side with my iPhone 5, I have a strong preference for the Galaxy S4. In fact my S4 experience has been so impressive that it lead me to pre-order the Note 3, primarily because of its larger display.

I eagerly await the arrival of my Note 3.

Upvote 0
Mine was in in Incipio case when it happened. I read a post on one thread where the person had his in an Otterbox and it still happened.

Nobody said that a case would prevent damage to a cellphone. Having a case on it gives it a higher chance of not getting damaged as opposed to not having one at all and the risk of damage is much higher. Also, not all cases protect the phone well. Some are just for show, while others are for duribility.

Upvote 0
Mine was in in Incipio case when it happened. I read a post on one thread where the person had his in an Otterbox and it still happened.

Just FYI, 1 year update...same S4, same durability. I've dropped the phone several times over the last year, the last 3-4 months in an Otterbox Commuter case.

I've even dropped it out of a treestand on a hunting trip. Granted, it landed on the ground, rather than concrete or asphalt, but it was a 20 foot drop.

The phone has been very durable.

I may replace it with a Note 4, but I am very pleased with the overall performance of this phone, it has not let me down once.

Upvote 0
I have a glass screen protector on my S4 and recently noticed that the screen protector is cracked. I've never broken the display or glass 9 any phone I've ever owned. I know more people who have broken iPhone though. Seems like a guarantee withthose, that they will break. I keep my S4 in a case all the time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones