Display Dead, alive otherwise, wipe?Support

Last Updated: 2014-02-01 15:13:55
  1. lowlyworm

lowlyworm Well-Known Member

The display on my 1 month old VZW S4 died. Can someone please tell me how to wipe it, before I return it? (Also lamenting the downside of tempered glass screen protectors) :'(

Advertisement
  2. unununium

unununium Member

Connect to a TV with a mhl adaptor, then you can factory reset the usual way.
    Other than that I presume there might be software available to do the same thing.
  3. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

What is the downside from your perspective?
  4. lowlyworm

The downside is that I now have to replace a $40 screen protector instead of a $4 screen protector, for the forthcoming refurbished unit.
  5. itsallgood

itsallgood Well-Known Member

I wish I knew about some of the things mentioned here, a week ago. My wifes S4 screen isn't working and I was trying to wipe it clean, before we sent it back. But gave up trying and sent it back anyway. I figured since she had a pattern lock and it wouldn't show up on our computer when connected by USB, because of the pattern lock, they would just disguard the entire phone and not refurbish it. I hope I'm right.
  6. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Well-Known Member

Unless it is totally trashed, they will repair it, sanitize it and the reissue it as a refurb. I have read threads about people getting refurbs that were not sanitized, but I really call into question the integrity of most of those posts. I'm sure it has happened, but it isn't a common issue. So I wouldn't worry about what is on the phone.
  7. lowlyworm

I'm pleased and very surprised to report that the Vitreo glass screen protector came off of the defective S4 and went onto the new one with very little degradation in clarity.

Not sure the receiver in the refurbished unit is as good as the original.