• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Display Eating Battery

i know this may sound boring but

google "black wallpaper" pick whichever link, dont even dowload just long press the image and set is as wallpaper.

It saves you a TON of battery that and having the brightness of the phone turned off completely ( unless you're using it outside and the sun isnt letting you see properly)

i play alot with the phone, text and when i do talk its 30min or more. i unplugg the phone around 7:30ish and it can literally last me till 9pm. thats my experience. I have a solid black background which made a huge difference.

Also i try to minimize the necessity of widgets that run in the background. ( that battery widget is one of em)

Upvote 0
um did you turn on and off your phone after putting the black wallpaper? cuz mine hovers around 12% most of the time ( i toggle the brightness off and on my phone thus the 12% goobling of my battery)

the battery use tab keeps a record from when the phone is switched on. so if your phone has been switched on since yesterday and it was until recently that you switched the background well the difference is not gonna show up (in my experience of observation)

You mentioned you were at work... does your phone have a good cell signal in there? because THAT really drains the battery... the constant search of 3g ( and 4G if you have that turned on) in an area where the signal is scarce

Also have you tried shutting off all background apps through manage apps tab? like music and the browser? google maps too! they do tend to stay on lurking in the background.

Upvote 0
The you should definitely hit the stop process on .com.android.settings

you have a virus on your phone

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!! Wow 14mb?! are you sure it's not 1.4mb? ( mine is 1.9mb)

if its 14mb then something is def not right ... your phone is overhauling that process way too much >.> Try turning on and off your phone to see if you can reset it if that dont work i'd go to sprint... you're still well within the 30 days.

Upvote 0
That number sounds about right if you are using the phone a lot.

I get about 3 hours of screen on time with my Nexus, and the screen shows 51% of usage.

Attachments

• IMG_20110513_195324.jpg
    IMG_20110513_195324.jpg
    815.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20110513_195333.jpg
    IMG_20110513_195333.jpg
    728.8 KB · Views: 97
Upvote 0
Just got the phone about a week ago...

When checking the battery widget, it is indicating that the display is eating roughly 58% of the battery.

I know this isn't normal. Any ideas?

Your phone is new and you're playing with it a lot, so the display will eat more battery power. Once you start getting acclimated and bored, the display consumption will go down.

Earlier today at work my display was at 9%, but Pandora was at 47%.

Tonight I was tinkering, surfing and watching Netflix on my phone, so the display is now at 61%.

Upvote 0
I got a program on my phone called JuiceDefender a few days ago. Since I've only been using it for a few days, I can't yet swear up and down that it's the best thing ever, but it does appear to be leading towards that. I have it set up so that if the screens off, 3G/4G/Wifi are all off. Even when I'm using a radio, it determines which radio is the best for the situation and disables the other 2. When I'm using an app that doesn't need the radio (as defined by me), it shuts off the radios. Basically, I've only got the radio on when I need it on, the rest of the time it's automatically off. According to JuiceDefender, it has improved by battery by 42% and I'd believe it.

About the black background. Why would that help? Just because the screen's darker? I don't claim to understand screens, but if that's the case, could we have something like this:

http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo248/jb-dan/Inc wallpapers/dff4ebad.jpg

It's still real dark, so you have that, and it's more interesting to look at than a pure black background.

Upvote 0
About the black background. Why would that help? Just because the screen's darker? I don't claim to understand screens, but if that's the case, could we have something like this:

It's still real dark, so you have that, and it's more interesting to look at than a pure black background.

The theory behind a black background on an amoled display saving juice is because of how OLED works, there is no backlight and only the pixels that are displayed are being lit. So on an LCD displaying a black background and nothing else on the screen, when the screen is on it still has the backlight on using power. On an amoled display, that same all black background with nothing else on it would consume no power even when you had the screen on.

Of course, one would have widgets and/or icons on the screen so it would use some juice but just be more efficient if the rest of the screen was black.

Upvote 0
I got a program on my phone called JuiceDefender a few days ago. Since I've only been using it for a few days, I can't yet swear up and down that it's the best thing ever, but it does appear to be leading towards that. I have it set up so that if the screens off, 3G/4G/Wifi are all off.

And when the MTSO has an inbound voice call for you, how does it transpond with your phone when the radios are all off??? Or a text message?

I'm the last one to trick out a phone with active wallpapers and constant Twitter and Facebook updates and all that, but fer chrissakes you got a smart phone, it stands to reason that you'd use at least *some* of its features. Or maybe strap a car battery on your belt to power the thing and a liquid nitrogen cooling system for the processor?

Do they still sell plain Jane voice-only flip-phones?

Upvote 0
And when the MTSO has an inbound voice call for you, how does it transpond with your phone when the radios are all off??? Or a text message?

I'm the last one to trick out a phone with active wallpapers and constant Twitter and Facebook updates and all that, but fer chrissakes you got a smart phone, it stands to reason that you'd use at least *some* of its features. Or maybe strap a car battery on your belt to power the thing and a liquid nitrogen cooling system for the processor?

Do they still sell plain Jane voice-only flip-phones?

MTSO? If I get a voicemail or SMS, I still get it instantly. Those features are part of the standard cellphone radio, 3G/4G/Wifi are ONLY used for data. So those are still enabled 100% of the time. If, for example, you were using IM+ to talk with people through text and you didn't tell JuiceDefender to keep a radio on when that application is open, you wouldn't get your messages until you turned the screen on. Either that or it would just straight sign you out. I'm not sure, but that's because that uses data. I haven't been hindered AT ALL by using this program. It functions 100% as a phone when the screen's off, the radio stays on when I'm listening to Pandora(or any other apps I've configured), and shuts off the radio automatically when I don't need it.

Either way, after a few more days of messing around with JuiceDefender, I can now swear to this program. It has increased my battery life by a substantial amount. (Note that I'm also using a plain black background and manually adjusting the screen brightness)

Yeah, they still sell those. My dad got one a few weeks back. :p

Upvote 0
You're in luck! I found a few of them:

Black Wallpaper 1

Black Wallpaper 2

Black Wallpaper 3

I think they're all pretty sweet looking. (Yeah, I realize they're all the same, but they're different resolutions! :p)

great - do 'blackish' ones get the same desired affect- i'd assume the darker the better so if not completely black it would still be better than a colorful one, correct?

Upvote 0
That's what I was thinking at first, but the according to gabbott and other parts of the internet, no. Pure black shuts off the pixel completely, dark grey still displays dark grey.

EDIT: Also, I wasn't completely convinced that the background was 100% black, so I decided to make one. That way I KNOW it's 100% black and the right resolution. Here's a QR code for the "ideal" wallpaper for the Nexus S 4G.

*click or read*

Reactions: eddieras
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones