• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Display not responding after dropping phone on water

miatech

Lurker
Oct 21, 2016
while on a trip abroad, I dropped my android in the water. I picked it up right away. Everything seemed to worked after, but later that day, the phone started to run a self-test. I guess from Recovery Mode. It seems it was doing memory test. I turned it off. And pull sd card and sim out, open the back cover and put it in the sun for a while. After that it will not take any charge. Later I put it inside a bag of rice to pull all the humidity out of it. Eventually, I was able to turn the phone on. But the problem is the display is not responding. I tried a Factory Reset from Recovery Mode, but still not responding. This is a Blu R1 HD phone. I had it for two months. Is there any way to know whether this is a display or motherboard problem. Is there any test I can run from Recovery Mode. That will test the motherboard? I try connecting through ADB, but I think I need to have the phone rooted. Anyway, any help appreciated on how to diagnose this. Thanks

Unfortunately the proper thing to do would have been to immediately pull the battery when it first happened. By not doing so you may have passed the time window to prevent permanent damage.
But, every case is different and we can't tell you for sure over the Internet. If you have access to a trustworthy repair person or shop you can have them look at it, aside from that it may be time to shop for another phone.
Also what kind of water was it? If fresh water there might be a chance it's recoverable, but if it was saltwater you can definitely kiss that phone goodbye.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
I'm a seasoned IT guy, just don't have much experience with phones. Are there any tools out there, that would allow me to diagnose what the problem is for sure. Can I open the device and test the display with other phone? or run some sort of diagnostic that will pin-point with accuracy the problem? Coulndn't remove the battery because it is fixed into the phone.
thanks

Upvote 0
the 'only thing' that 'might help' now is to put the whole thing in a vacuum chamber and leave it there for a couple of days.
it must be pulled down to 26 inches of mercury to do the job.

IF, the device will open up, remove the battery and anything else that plugs in.

IMO, it is way too late to even bother with the above. get a new phone.

Upvote 0
So I think you get the idea with everyone's replies. But to answer your question there really isn't any diagnostic you can do on it.
The diagnostic trouble tree would go something like this-
Did the phone fall in water?- Yes
Did you follow the proper emergency procedures to minimize the damage?- No
----- New phone time.
End of diagnostic tree.

Upvote 0
alright guys, thanks for the answer. What should you do if the phone falls in the water and you can't remove the battery?...
Turn it off immediately and drop it in rice ASAP.

That said you didn't do that, so I'd think about waterproofing the next time you buy a phone. Motorola's waterproof phone (Z Play I think) is the cheapest one AFAIK. You can also consider older Samsung or Sony flagship models.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Note though, that even the "waterproof" (more accurately "water resistant") devices can still be damaged by water intrusion. The best thing to do regardless of what phone you have is to keep it away from water period.
For some of the more popular phones you may be able to get something like a Lifeproof case which when used properly can protect it from immersion, but those make the phone rather clumsy and I'd still not make the assumption that it's impervious to damage just because it's in that case. In the end it comes down to taking proper care of your equipment.
My S5 is IP67 rated but I have no intention of testing that rating. It's never seen more than a sprinkle of rainwater and it isn't going to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones