• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Displaying Special Characters

ASC

I'm Shy
Mar 27, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
So this is just more of an annoyance than anything else, But when I'm on certain websites on my phone or get some emails that are using special characters, the characters usually show up as empty boxes. I believe this is due to the use of International Phonetic Alphabet characters? Is there a way to add these to my phone so I can start seeing them? Or is it not supported?

I have a Stock Droid X

Thanks!

Here's an example from the same webpage on my phone and then from my computer.

IMAG0185.jpg

Question.jpg

Bumping this year old thread.

Unfortunately things don't seem to have improved any with ICS 4.0 and JB 4.1, Many of the unicode IPA characters are still missing, or are incorrect. This is serious enough to prevent me from using Android for my day job as an ESL teacher. :thinking: I have to use Windows or a desktop Linux OS like Ubuntu or Mint. IPA support is complete and correct in Apple's iOS as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones