Disproportionately Large J Key

Last Updated:

1. Fronc

Fronc Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Pretty funny thing I noticed a while ago, that I have yet to see anyone mention. The letter J on the hardware keyboard is printed disproportionately larger than the rest of the letters/symbols on the keyboard. Strange, huh?

Probably shouldn't have mentioned it... It might become a highlight on the next AT&T ad.

AT&T Ad

Advertisement
  2. Phases

Phases Community Manager Administrator

Wow, I never noticed that. Heh..

3. CatsTide

CatsTide Well-Known Member

a joke? mine are the same

4. Fronc

5. rawness

rawness Well-Known Member

LMAO, I never noticed that. If it were to become the highlight of an AT&T ad campaign the joke would be on them

6. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

You should specify that the KEY is the same size. It's the J and the Q printed on those keys that are taller than all the other letters printed on the other keys.

7. Fronc

I wouldn't put it past them. That commercial was as pointless as a swiss cheese teapot.

1. Having the fastest 3g network, on paper, in particular high-traffic areas, means nothing when coverage is spotty, and bandwidth can't keep up. See here: Verizon Leads, AT&T Runs Last in Wired.com’s 3G Speed Test | Gadget Lab | Wired.com -- VZW FTW.
    2. Nobody "talks and surfs at the same time." This was the #2 feature AT&T had to show off?
    3. Most popular "smartphoneS" ? I believe they mean smartPHONE. And that's not even necessarily true anymore, according to the latest trends from brighthand. Check out this list:
    Most Popular Smartphones of October
    You'd be surprised to see that ATT doesn't make it onto the list until # 6, which Verizon also has, and then not again until 9 and 10. But who wants a Nokia? Seriously.
    4. Apps, don't even get me started. AT&T doesn't offer the apps. Thats Apple. And If you're counting all of the Android and Windows Mobile apps (and the outside-the-marketplace apps available on all the platforms), relatively speaking, you'd be hard-pressed to really give weight to the 100k mark. Especially when 30k are fart-noise-generators.
    5. Speaking of names, when he says "Hey, they got one," I think he's referring to "they" as AT&T, and "one" as a "Wilson Brother." Not even Owen? Really?

Sorry to hijack my own thread, but this needed to be said. Anyway, continue the discussion of the Big ol' J.

8. Fronc

Yes, you're right. I have edited my posts, above.

9. MotoDroidHelpandInfo

MotoDroidHelpandInfo Well-Known Member

I don't know looks pretty normal to me. I think it's just the way the font is.

10. JoeT

JoeT New Member

11. aaron19953

aaron19953 Well-Known Member

It's a limitation of CDMA.. however the new standard coming (LTE?) gets past that, and will allow both data and voice

I kinda agree it would be cool to have both, but it doesn't really bother me.. You could have just turned on WiFi.. assuming you had a access point near..

-=< aaron >=-

12. JediJesus

JediJesus Well-Known Member

Its EV-DO limitation. It use to stand voice or data only. Sprint has the same issues. When Verizon comes out with LTE it will do voice and data at the same time.

My problem with the ad is the samsung phones it shows at the end. Im pretty sure they dont do voice and data at the same time and they dont have access to the 100k apps. I would be ok if they were only talking about the iphone but they aren't. It just gives me more reason not to switch to AT&T. And I dont consider the Iphone a smartphone. A smartphone should be able to multitask with 3rd party apps.

13. Fronc

Well I concede the point that "nobody" talks and surfs at the same time. However, it is hardly a factor for most people to switch networks. I just don't think it should be the #2 reason why AT&T is better than VZW. I felt like the commercial tries to take advantage of "features" which really aren't that important, just to try and 1-up Verizon. I think a better strategy would have been to just come out and say "We still have the iPhone. Suck it, Verizon."

And P.S. - Navigation continues to work, unless you go off-route. You just need to bring the window back up from the notifications tray.

14. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

It appears that for both the J and Q in the font used, there is a descender, but the characters are actually printed with the descender above the baseline, causing the characters to appear taller than the others. Descenders on capital letters is not common, but it's not unheard of either.

Descender - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

15. droidpcguru

droidpcguru Well-Known Member

..Exactly

16. Fronc

From Wikipedia, third paragraph: "Some fonts also use descenders for the tails on a few uppercase letters such as J and Q."

But just because Wikipedia acknowledges it, doesn't make it attractive. Good explanation, though.

17. n9zez

n9zez Well-Known Member

No doubt some will return the phone now!

:)