Distinguish between mT3G and provider issue

Last Updated:

1. BarkingGhost

BarkingGhost Member This Topic's Starter

I live in the 30519 zip code. This is in the NE part of Gwinnett county, Georgia, a county with ~750,000 residents. I've traveled from my home all around my county, and into and around other greater Atlanta metro counties like Dekalb, Fulton, Cobb, etc., etc., etc.

My mT35 has never displayed anything but Edge for data services. I am not sure if this is a problem with the phone or with the provider (TMo). Are there any other fellow Atlantians experience the same thing and using mT3G phones?

Is there anything I can check before walking into a TMo store and asking for assistance? Previously the local store had to do something as I had no data services and something was attributed to the phone.

Advertisement
  2. Bigjohn

Bigjohn Well-Known Member

Provider.
    T-mo's coverage in general sucks.

3. BarkingGhost

I guess this map is misleading. My county, and those leading into greater Atlanta show 3G coverage.

Attached Files:

4. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

from the phone dial 611 and ask for tech department to verify if you are in a 3G area ..

5. InstantKarma

InstantKarma Well-Known Member

Are you certain your 3G is even on? lol

You shouldn't be having any problems obtaining 3G in a large urban area.

6. BarkingGhost

After a doctor's appointment I stopped by my neighborhood corp store. He said our county is littered with 3G. He takes my phone and cannot get 3G to come up on it. He replaces the SIM card and 3G comes up. Cool!

I go home and look at the phone and Edge only. I am about 2-3 miles as the crow flies from this corp store. Hmm. I should have 3G service as my bill shows them charging me for it. But now I have to wonder.

My wife had gotten a non-smart phone at the same time and tried the Web2Go service offering for a couple of weeks and then called in and canceled it. I wonder if the rep canceled more than what should have been canceled.

7. BarkingGhost

Actually, it is just the signal strength for 3G. Its intermittent, but less consistent than my work smartphone (Blackberry Bold on AT&T). I have noticed, though, that the response time from sending a URL-access event to data delivery the TMo 3G seems just as slow as the Edge. This seems more provider than anything else.