• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Distorted Sound through headphone jack

Whenever I output music through the headphone jack (either to my computer or my car stereo) it gets really distorted if I set the media volume on the headset to anything above 50%.

Sometimes I get popping sounds as well. However, if I set the media volume to about 50% or lower, the sound is perfectly clear -- I just have to crank up the volume on my stereo to be able to here it.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

I had this issue as well and thought something was wrong with my phone but after extensive testing it seems pandora is giving me that popping sound when my media volume is turned up really high. It helps to lower the media volume and turn up the car stereo volume. I have done comparisons of a downloaded song and the same song on pandora. I get the popping sound when the media volume is at max on pandora but not with the downloaded song (both being the same song)... so I think it's pandora giving out poor quality? thoughts?

Upvote 0
I haven't noticed anything worse than what I had when listening on my BB Storm. I'm using a $250 pair of ear buds which are amazing.

With that said, Pandora released an update last night. I'm not at work yet so I haven't plugged in to see what the changes were. You might want to check out that update to see if it improved for you.

They've also really got to compress the audio to get a solid stream down to your device, so I wouldn't expect CD quality!

Upvote 0
Think I found the solution, at least for me anyway. I noticed in imeem mobile and any downloaded songs I got no crackling so this led me to believe it was pandora. Well after looking more into pandora's settings there is a setting that you can change in the preferences menu for the audio quality and default is "normal." Sooo I changed it to "high" and so far no more crackles :)

Upvote 0
Think I found the solution, at least for me anyway. I noticed in imeem mobile and any downloaded songs I got no crackling so this led me to believe it was pandora. Well after looking more into pandora's settings there is a setting that you can change in the preferences menu for the audio quality and default is "normal." Sooo I changed it to "high" and so far no more crackles :)

Yeah, this was the first thing I did when I installed Pandora. I knew about this setting from my Blackberry.

Unfortunately, Slacker has no such setting, and as of now, it is unbearable to listen to.

Last.FM seems to work fine.

And of course, the built in MP3 player, as well as TuneWiki work just fine (all my MP3s are 192kbps or higher though).

And I have noticed that the headphone jack is pretty "hot" I usually turn it up to 2 notches below highest, and crank my car stereo :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones