• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ditch my Galaxy and go for a Nexus One ?

abesh

Jan 23, 2010
India
I will be traveling to New Jersey for a period of 2 months for business and was thinking whether I should ditch my unlocked Samsung Galaxy (1 month old), unlocked from India and go for a Nexus one ?

If i do plan to ditch it, what should be a good way to sell off my galaxy, other than ebay ?

If I go for a Nexus one, which should be the cheapest and easiest way to buy an unlocked phone which will work in India ?

Cheers
Abesh

abesh, if you're traveling to the US and have some fixed address you can order to - even a hotel would probably do, order it directly into the US. Then carry it back with you and u'll avoid taxes. It should work out really cheap for u that way!

You need to order from google.com/phone - its unlocked already.

Its a great phone!

Upvote 0
I'm considering this myself. I've pretty much had enough of the Galaxy - the biggest limitation on it seems to be the criminal lack of free RAM. No matter what I do, the RAM takes a nosedive once you open some apps - even following the helpful guide that robs the reserved memory from the GPU still only leaves me with about 20Mb of free memory the instant I open a browser window.

Example - last night I was trying to post on this very site from my Galaxy as I was in the pub. Took me about 5 minutes to write a 9 word sentence because the phone was lagging so much. Plus, with the GPU memory gone, it seems to kill the speed on any app that uses even a remote amount of gfx power - Google Sky Map springs to mind.

Basically, once either the Nexus One is available in the UK, or the HTC Bravo/Passion/whatever is available in the UK, i'll be switching. And good riddance to the Galaxy. I can't say I'll miss it. I can say I wish I'd bought a Hero instead. And I can also say Samsung won't be getting another penny of my money. Ever.

I dread to think how much 2.x will struggle on this hardware to be usable - last-gen processor, negligible RAM, and a small ROM that requires a cooked version of 2.x just to fit on apparently. No thanks.

Upvote 0
Well the nexus is a much better phone, we know that, because its newer and costs a hell of a lot more! so 'should i sell my galaxy and get a nexus?' depends on your situation.

If you had the money and that wasnt an issue of course! Its like saying should i sell my 2 year old ford and get the latest one?

The bigger question for yourself is how much will the nexus actually cost you after u sell your galaxy? How much better is the nexus and is it worth tht money? Those are hard questions for other people to answer for you.

RE stuff not working in yours country:

- The turn by turn nav only seems to work in the US. Even in the UK its patchy (the UK is officially a country google supply to of course).
- The voice recognition seems more tuned to US accents. It works great for everything except SMS for me. SMS always gets the words wrong. BUT it remembers you're phrases so the more u use it th ebetter it gets
- Market - if you're country doesnt have paid apps you'll need to root it and use market enabler. Its exactly the same as on the galaxy. If you have paid apps on galaxy ignore this point
- Root - google allow you to unlock the bootloader which means you can ALWAYS root it - no exploits need to be found - just like the galaxy. BUT this will void your waranty. There is no other way to root <yet>

Aside from that everything else works fine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones