• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ditching my Moment in the near future...

Which phone?

• Samsung Transform

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Blackberry Bold 9650

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters
I am considering getting either the Samsung Transform or the Blackberry Curve. I know a lot of people on here are going to tell me dont get a blackberry, but the Moment has been a huge pain. I went and looked at phones earlier today and my decision came down to the Transform or the Bold 9650. Its a tough decision because I LOVE the Android platform, when its functioning properly. After having the Moment I have very weary to get another Android phone. Data lockups and random software glitches killed my experience. Im not sure if this is an Android problem, or if Samsung Androids suck. It seems as though the HTC Androids are pretty good. Anyhow, the Transform is a Samsung product so I am extra weary. Im not going to get the Evo ir Epic because I am not paying an extra $10 a month for a 4G phone when theres no 4G sevice. I am defenitly going to miss the features of the Android, when it worked properly, but the Bold 9650 is looking pretty tempting. It's like the tour but without the trackball. I hate phones with trackballs, my luck is never good enough for one to work perfectly for a long period of time. The aggravation of a broken trackball is also too much. Thats why I love how the Bold has the same tactical pad my Moment has. I guess what it comes down to is, am I going to take the risk of getting ANOTHER Samsung Android phone and hoping it works properly in order to get the amazing android platform, or do I go with something that I am postive will always work and save the frustration of resetting my phone once a month but suffer on the OS?

Decisions, decisions

Anyone have any input?

I don't have any experience with the Transform, but the data lockup issue is a Moment exclusive AFAIK. I can say that after a year of Moment ownership, lockup wasn't much of an issue for me. I made it a habit to reboot anytime I ended a wifi session. There's also a rumor that Samsung will release a update addressing lockup, even though the phone is EOL.
I've never owned a BB, but I've played with them extensively (mostly curves) and I don't get it. I find them to be the most restrictive user unfriendly smartphones I've ever used. I know the email is supposed to be the best, but everything else either sucks (web browser!!!) or is hard to use. I guess if you come from an office that uses them, your experience may be different. I know someone who just upgraded from a Bold to a Torch and he hates it. Apparently there's a lot of incompatibilities with the new OS.
Sprint should really rethink the 4G tax. The Epic and Evo are both a huge upgrade from their other phone offerings. I think getting them into more peoples hands would out weigh the profit from the tax.

Good luck on your search

Reactions: one80oneday
Upvote 0
I've had my EVO for a few days and I can say all the issues with Android we had with the Moment were due to Samsung not handling the OS right with their hardware. 2.2 works fantastic. Also, I was concerned that I would miss a hard keyboard, but I type almost as fast with the touch keypad already, and if I can get swype or get used to speaking more clearly (for the voice to text) then I think I'm set. (stupid Okie accent confuses Google)

Most friends of mine who have BB and aren't using it mostly for business are disappointed with the platform compared to Android or Apple.

And the $10/mo for 4G that we don't have sucks, but I see it resolved in one of 3 ways:
1) think about it as payment to get 4G brought to your area sooner
2) The fee could go away after a while, and is kind of worthwhile for the functionality of the 4G phones
3) If Sprint doesn't deliver soon I can easily see someone starting a class-action suit against them for charging so many of us for a service we aren't getting. Contract or not, there's a case to be made there.

Upvote 0
I can't see going to a piece of shit phone over $10 a month. Just look at it as the price of upgrading.

It's looking like the battle at sprint has come down to the evo or the epic. I'm leaning towards the evo.

and how is the transform a piece of shit? so far it hasn't had any glitches that the moment had. no data lockups or gps issues so far. $10 a month can break ppls banks. including mine. i wouldn't mind getting a evo or epic if their wasn't a extra $10 fee. i'm sorry i'm not rich enough. i also refuse to pay for something i can't get and probably will never get for a few years. sprints idea of paying a tax just to get a cool phone is just stupid. no ways i'm falling for that crap. the transform would probably do everything i want it to do. hopefully someone at sdx can cook up a custom rom for it without sprint id. as long i see more sdx support for it and 2.2 clearly on its way im picking up the transform. i don't need a super phone with 4"+ screens that eats battery dry in no time.

Upvote 0
note the Samsung logo on it.

Put down the bitterness and step away from the table......

OTH, I found a brand new reason to love my new Evo today when while traveling by subway I noticed that I wasn't hearing the ubber annoying loss of signal tones my Moment spewed after leaving every station. I know this may be a 2.2 fix, but I'm gonna credit the Evo anyway.

Upvote 0
and how is the transform a piece of shit? so far it hasn't had any glitches that the moment had. no data lockups or gps issues so far. $10 a month can break ppls banks. including mine. i wouldn't mind getting a evo or epic if their wasn't a extra $10 fee. i'm sorry i'm not rich enough. i also refuse to pay for something i can't get and probably will never get for a few years. sprints idea of paying a tax just to get a cool phone is just stupid. no ways i'm falling for that crap. the transform would probably do everything i want it to do. hopefully someone at sdx can cook up a custom rom for it without sprint id. as long i see more sdx support for it and 2.2 clearly on its way im picking up the transform. i don't need a super phone with 4"+ screens that eats battery dry in no time.

This is really going to make me sound like an ass but I don't guess it really matters...

If your definition of "rich" is $10 a month maybe you shouldn't be looking at smartphones.

Upvote 0
What do you mainly use your phone for? I had a Blackberry Curve for 2 years and should have just got another one. The Blackberry has excellent email, messaging, and calendar. The media player is pretty good now. The web browser is decent and you don't have as many choices for apps. Battery life is better overall with more frequent email and background data usage.

Really the only thing I like better about the Android platform is the web browser and availability of apps although most of the apps out there are pretty crappy.

Upvote 0
What do you mainly use your phone for? I had a Blackberry Curve for 2 years and should have just got another one. The Blackberry has excellent email, messaging, and calendar. The media player is pretty good now. The web browser is decent and you don't have as many choices for apps. Battery life is better overall with more frequent email and background data usage.

Really the only thing I like better about the Android platform is the web browser and availability of apps although most of the apps out there are pretty crappy.
ROFLMAO

Have you even tried Android???

If not you have NO IDEA what you're missing!!!

This is so damn funny... it's like a Motorola RAZR user saying "Android is useless..."!!!!!

I have a Blackberry (actually a couple of Blackberries), but they're so ancient and useless compared to Android it's not even funny.

After using Android, I'd rather have the crappiest Android phone rather than the very best Blackberry phone!!!!

Looking at my pathetic Blackberry Curve right now - it's a piece of crap compared to even my lowly Samsung Moment...

ROFLMAO!!!!! :D:D:D

Upvote 0
This is really going to make me sound like an ass but I don't guess it really matters...

If your definition of "rich" is $10 a month maybe you shouldn't be looking at smartphones.

so i shouldn't own a smartphone according to you. what a ridiculous statement when smartphones are becoming the norm with any budget. as for my rich comment i may have over exaggerated a bit on it but you see my point right? sprint would sell more epics and evos if they didn't charge that $10 tax as a lot ppl are holding back on purchasing it. $10 may not seem like much but this is the reason why i stayed with sprint. good coverage and cheap plans. if i'm going to pay $80+ a month i might as well go verizon or att always wanted a droid.

Upvote 0
Oh settle down, I was mostly kidding. :) Looking back on the ~1 year life of my Moment, it was alright. But only just alright. The first 6 months were a hassle, having to make special rituals to get the phone to do what I wanted, and the last 6 I was already bitter from the first 6, so I had a hard time enjoying the phone because any remaining problems just seemed like a glaring lack of concern on Samsung's part.

You gotta admit though, they didn't care too much about the phone, and our demand for support/updates pretty much blindsided them. It's looking like they've improved the situation a bit, but I'm not quite at the point where I'd recommend the brand to people looking for a phone yet.

The Transform is probably another alright phone.

And yeah, jumping into the EVO ~5 months after its release (with all kinds of spiffy updates already applied), having zero bugs so far, and experiencing better performance in all areas than the old phone, I'm an instant fanboy. It's only natural.

Upvote 0
I finally looked at the transform and it seems like an ok phone. Honestly it seems they should have called it the moment 2 from what I read. If you love the moment but hate the bugs the transform may be the one to get. I would consider it a sidegrade though as it doesn't seem like much of an upgrade...

As for blackberry, I have to admit I don't get it but know 2 people that went to android from one and hate it. I do know about 30 that have blackberry's and hate them (we use them at work), but 2 semi-computer illiterate people that miss it.

If the $10 is a deal breaker for you the transform seems like a decent option. My moment isn't as problematic as some I've read about around here though so for me at least a side-grade isn't an option.

And don't be so defensive. I wasn't attacking you or trolling the thread, $10 a month for a phone that costs $400 just seems like drops in a bucket.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones