• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Divx/Xvid support - Hardware dependent?

Hi,
While buying a phone, if it doesn't support out of the box ability to play Divx/Xvid/H.264 etc files, can the phone play it later on using some other player (which can be separately installed)? or is this playibility hardware dependent upto certain extent.

In essence are smartphones similar to normal pcs wherein there is just a software installation for everything and there it is.. Everything wld play..

Pls suggest.

Thanks
Omkar

Well I am sure some paid media player might able to play it on the market. But for people like me who does special encoding for device specific media for best quality. What you want to do is based on your own phone resolution convert it without as default mp4 is sufficient enough to handle it and once converted you never have to worry again.

HKM said:
You have to properly encode the video here is detail explanation with HD profile of what your mpeg4 video output should look like in *.mp4 format. You don't need to convert it with any other A/V codec as mpeg4 containers is sufficient if done correctly. I always encode my videos for mobile device before I transfer it thats another reason it looks good.

Codec: X264 2 Pass
Resolution: 800x480
Bitrate: 128kbps
Crop: 5:3 (1.667)

HKM said:
WinFF is inferior technology as what I was sending is superior due to upgraded aspect of ffmpeg used. ATM I am not maintaining it for reason well I will not say but those that do got it I just updated it and about to re-encode all my video with even more highdef superior quality. BTW anyone guessing they are all me who was sending them out :p

Upvote 0
In answer to your question: yes and no. There are several wide-codec support video players on the Market, however none of them are able to utilise the GPU for decoding video, so compared to phones with proper support for divx/xvid/mkv they are obviously not going to be as good (especially with stuff like 720p video). You're kinda limited to Samsung stuff like the Galaxy S range if you want top of the line wide-codec support, although other manufacturers are gradually getting around to adding support (but for many of those manufacturers early efforts at divx support playback has all kinds of limitations, for example the Desire HD has problems with files over a certain size, throws a wobbly at many different kinds of encoding etc).

Upvote 0
Well I am sure some paid media player might able to play it on the market. But for people like me who does special encoding for device specific media for best quality. What you want to do is based on your own phone resolution convert it without as default mp4 is sufficient enough to handle it and once converted you never have to worry again.

I'd rather not convert any video, because any conversion will result in a loss of quality (regardless of the settings). Using the all-in-one players available, I simply play my videos on HTC Desire without any conversion (up to HD quality).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones