• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

(DIY) guide for case for extended battery *with pictures*

akikhia

Android Expert
Oct 24, 2011
so just a quick guide for u guys that really want a case for your phone with an extended battery
it is nice looking and makes the phone easier to hold and i think a bit slimmer
it shouldnt take more than 15-30 mins to do

*********I'm not responsible for any damage u cause to your phone or yourself. this is all ur risk and if you don't know how to cut with an xacto please dont do this there is alot of force involved and you can seriously injure yourself.

im guna start by saying that pretty much all the credit goes to VinhCTrinh1984 in the lg esteem forum. we all may have thought of this but he implemented it and did a great job at it.

http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?p=4046479

so to start get a sharp xacto knife a needle and a bunch of old papers or piece of wood you can cut on

YOU WILL HAVE TO CUT UP YOUR STOCK COVER AND YOUR NEW CASE so unless you are 100% sure you want this dont do it. for me i got another cover in case i want to keep my phone slim at one point so the cut in the stock cover doesnt show.

4b377a49-b77e-9254.jpg

you will need specifically the hybrid silicon and plastic case. NO OTHER CASE WILL WORK AS FAR AS I KNOW so make sure you get the right one. i have a few nicer cases on the way ill see if any of them i can work with

the battery will slightly stick out but not enough so that its noticable. beware the case adds alot of bulkiness to the phone from the sides and makes pressing the soft buttons kinda hard as well as getting to the audio jack which i may have to cut up later. it does however make pressing power and volume much easier.

here is the link to the case i got only get one that is exactly like it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MetroPCS-LG...lack-White-Accessory-Case-Cover-/330720596194

now the guide:

start by marking the corners of the battery on the phone with baby powder or a dab of toothpaste or something like that i actually used ink then put the stock cover on and push at the corners of where u expect the battery to be then take it off and mark where the baby powder hit with the needle.

4b377a49-b8d7-7315.jpg

4b377a49-b8e4-8d77.jpg

now cut straight lines in the stock cover between those push lightly at first and as u go deeper into the plastic push harder eventually you'll cut through

4b377a49-b8f3-20c6.jpg

place on with extended battery there make adjustments as needed

4b377a49-b906-4900.jpg

after your done put the back cover inside the plastic part of the case and mark the edges of ur cut with the needle onto the case. afterwards cut through the case. after a few cuts itll snap u can then fit the blade through the case and just slide it down.

4b377a49-b91f-c1c7.jpg

4b377a49-b92a-7489.jpg

4b377a49-b93f-0364.jpg

4b377a49-b95c-8229.jpg

after you fully cut away all the parts and make adjustments just put the plastic part of the case on and then place the silicon cover on top
now if u want to change ur battery u just need to take the silicon off. simple and easy

4b377a49-b96b-c223.jpg

4b377a49-b97a-4b75.jpg

I think you'd get a lot more people coming to it if the thread was named for what it actually is. Currently, the threads title is "DIY Guide for Extended Battery" Not what it should be: "DIY Guide for Extended Battery Case."

Adding to that, it's nothing that you need to be concerned about pertaining to difficulty. If you're scared of using an exacto knife, then use a dremmel. If rotary tools aren't your thing, you can also use a butter knife, and heat it up with a lighter, or torch, or on the stove, and slowly melt-cut your way through the case.
There are numerous ways to perform the same type of action, it just depends on what you are willing to do.
I'm going to do this next week, and post the results, and a video while I do it, showing just how easy it is to accomplish, and perhaps that will get more people doing it.
After all, this is currently the only way to get one.

Or, I can go into a small business venture, and make them for people then charge a slight bit extra for the work. I have a dremmel, and several other fabrication tools like plastic files, and shapers to round off edges, so I can make it look and feel a lot more "natural" than the "standard person."

@Akikhia when I post the video of me doing it, you're more than welcome to put it into the main post of the thread.

Upvote 0
the thread is called diy guide for case for extended battery
and it would be great if u make a video of it. i wanted to do that just didnt have the time
and yes guys its extremely easy

Ahh, the way you worded it, I never noticed the word case in the topic name. My apologies. Like I said, I'll make a vid for it when I actually get the case, and it'll be in 720p so there's no reason someone should say "i can't sea whut yew deed thar." or "theeze ez defficolt." (LOL)

Nah, seriously, it's an easy thing to do, and the video will show it plain and simple.

Upvote 0
I'm buying the vertical kickstand case, and this one to see if the kickstand will work with it. I'll update when I get it as I don't pay for expedited shipping unless it's cheap (no sense in freaking out about WHEN I get it - especially since I almost broke the fkn screen today >.< LOL

send me a link to which case ur talking about. ive tried 6 cases and this is the only one that works without looking funky

Upvote 0
I substituted the xacto knife with a plastic cutter but thanks to this guide, I now have a phone with both an extended battery and a protective case.

Here is the result:
lgc4gtop.jpg
lgc4gtop.jpg
lgc4gtop.jpg

lgc4gbottom1.jpg

Since the extended battery is stretching the silicone skin a bit it was putting extra pressure on the volume buttons thus making them not work properly, to work around this I made a slit under the volume buttons.
lgc4gbottom2witharrow.jpg

Volume buttons work perfectly now.

Ironically, this case makes it easier for me to press the power button.

My only gripe is the case design doesn't leave much room for headphone jacks (I had to cut off a little of the rubber around the connector on my cheap little ear-buds in order to make it fit) but that's a small price to pay for the peace of mind knowing that my phone is more likely to survive a fall.

Reactions: lowlab
Upvote 0
How safe is the battery behind the silicone? Is it exposed at all, or do you guys feel its even safer with the modded case than the generic case provided with the extended battery?

The battery isn't exposed, the silicone skin covers it.

As far as how safe the battery is, I would guess the plastic that came with the extended battery would provide better protection than the silicone, so you would save about $15-$20 if you dropped the phone and it landed on its back.

Personally I chose to go with the modded case since I would prefer to pay $15-$20 in the event I damaged the battery over risking shattering the glass screen and paying about $60 dollars or more plus the time it would take to make the repairs.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones