DIY Replacement of Cracked ScreenGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Leery

Leery Active Member This Topic's Starter

My Eris screen is completely cracked. I bought a new one now I'm trying to figure out how to replace it. I took off the back panel and noticed 4 screws in the corners of the phone. They seem to require a special kind of hex key allen wrench. Does anyone know if this is the first step in replacing my screen? If so where can I obtain these odd looking allen keys?

I have heard rumors of DIY videos on youtube, but havent been able to dig any up. Also, I've heard something about heating up the phones screen with a blow dryer and letting the glass get hot enough for the glue to soften...but im not about to try that without some serious second opinions, haha.

Advertisement
  2. Leery

bump

3. jackdubz

jackdubz Member

you can find Allen Hex Wrenches at Lowe's, home depot, ace or pretty much any hardware/department store. Most important, you have to know that you'll be voiding your warranty if you try this. it would probably be better to just take it to a VZW store and have them do it for you

4. eddieg

eddieg Well-Known Member

Its not a hex its a torx driver not sure of the size i think its a #5 torx.

5. jackdubz

jackdubz Member

hex can be used as a substitute.. only problem is its not a reliable tool because the head of the screw may strip

6. eddieg

eddieg Well-Known Member

you can get torx at any hardware store dont use hex!

7. redplate

redplate Well-Known Member

good luck finding a how to. I have seen a couple posts like this and it seems they just drift off into open seas. I searched my damnedest for a video or even something with a couple of photographs and haven't found anything. I am considering doing the same thing but I am pretty sure it will void my warranty. If you feel like smashing completely to pieces for insurance I won't hold it against you.

8. char561

char561 Well-Known Member

It will absolutely void your warranty and is easily detectable detectable. Just thought I'd let you know the risk if something were to go wrong in the process of replacing or if something were to happen afterwords. Now if you have insurance and don't mind committing insurance fraud, you can always just smash or "lose" the phone and file a claim.

9. FredNitz

FredNitz Well-Known Member

Those four screws are are Torx screws. You are braver than I am but I guess it's hosed anyway. Where did you ever find a replacement screen?

10. willdogs

willdogs Well-Known Member

4yanks likes this.
  11. Leery

there is a man on ebay selling the screens from california. hes still got a few of them for all of those looking for new screens / sensor pads.