dlna server?

Last Updated:

1. halfords

halfords Member This Topic's Starter

i have a dlna iomega network server is there a apps that can stream movies and music onto my android phone?

Advertisement
  2. thecrazing

thecrazing Well-Known Member

uMediaPlayer v1.0 Application for Android | Multimedia

But, as you can see, the real problem is that most of your video files probably aren't in the formats that Android supports. Orb works, though, but since it actually passes through the internet, the quality kinda sucks, and it drains your server PC's CPU resources by transcoding on the fly. TVersity might be a solution, but at the moment, I don't think TVersity and Android are playing nice together.

3. halfords

halfords Member This Topic's Starter

how do i install umediaplayer as it does not show on my android market?

4. egrus

egrus Member

Orb includes a renderer, and it can transcode on the fly, so can XBMC I believe...right? It doesn't really drain your CPU...my media server is a pentium-d (lol) 3 ghz with 2 gigs of ram running windows 7x64. I can transcode 1080p MKV's in real time to my mobile. I don't have an android device, so I can't test this app out -- but can you guys comment on it at all?

Does it lag\buffer? Will it play HD content?
    I am very interested in writing my own DLNA apps for mobiles in the future since it seems there aren't very many good ones yet...but again, no android handset yet, just symbian and WinMo...perhaps I'll cop the nexus one when it's available...

I would love to hear your guys' thoughts on this app and \ or why people don't seem to know \ care about DLNA..is it that people usually don't keep their media stored locally...they get it from online servers instead?