DLNA with PS3... instructions?Support

Last Updated:

1. jim2point0

jim2point0 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey,

I can't figure this out. First thing I did was open allshare. I selected "play media from phone on another device." It couldn't find any devices. I then checked out my PS3. I tried going to the remote play settings to register my device.

It gives me a number to input during device registration... but this is where I get stuck. I don't know where to go from here. Allshare doesn't have an option to "register a device."

Someone has to know how to do this... seeing as EVERYONE says DLNA works with a PS3....

Advertisement
  2. hotpocketdeath

hotpocketdeath Member

I have not figured it all out yet, but here's what I have figured out on my own so far.

First to get anything to work, the Epic has to scan the media on the SD card. Transfering a file over my network onto the SD card wouldn't work (using Estrong file explorer). The card had to be unmounted and remounted to initiate the scan. I don't know how to force it to scan any other way.

Simply by activating the "allshare" app, the phone will appear as a media server on the PS3. I have no trouble seeing mine on my PS3.

Any movies I have placed in the "Videos" folder on the root of my SD card will appear on the DLNA server and play just fine.

I have been trying to get images to work the same way, but without any luck. I've tried placing them in a "images" folder, but they don't seem to want to work.

Edit: I just took a video with my camera. I immediately went into "allshare" and the video appeared in the list. Checked the PS3 and it appeared there as well, except it's unsupported data.

3. jim2point0

Can you give more specific instructions on what menus you are navigating on the PS3? I don't even get as far as you do, because I can't get to a screen that would show my Epic or Video list. It asks me to register a device when I try to start "remove play."

So what menus are you looking at on your PS3 to find the media server\video files?

4. hotpocketdeath

hotpocketdeath Member

Not much I can really tell you.

Once I start the "Allshare" app, I immediately get an icon pop up on my PS3 under the "Photo", "Music", and "Video" menus.

On my PS3, it appears as the little green android fellow with the name of my phone's DLNA server, which I named Serenity (all my network devices are named after SciFi ships).

If the media server doesn't come up, make sure you have you check the setting under:
    Settings -> Network Settings -> Media Server Connection = Enabled

Oh, and it looks like everything is now working for me. I can view photos, listen to music, and watch videos streamed off my phone onto my PS3.

5. jim2point0

BINGO. That's all I needed to do. I looked under videos and I saw my Allshare server name (default is "samsung mobile"). Before that I was trying to go to network -> remote play, which told me to set it up first under settings -> remote play.

Thanks man :)