DLNA's 1 up on the EVO

Last Updated:

1. jzh797

jzh797 Member This Topic's Starter

DLNA is the only reason I will be getting this phone over the EVO. Is this a killer feature for anyone else?

I love the EVO and have had HTC hardware for my last three phones. I believe HTC is a solid phone company who stands behind their product. I was fully on board for the EVO when I learned of the Galaxy heading to Sprint. HTC has always been good about updates and the ROM community is strong behind their products, but DLNA!?! In a phone!?! You have to be kidding me, I don't care about anything but that. I can share my 720p MKV videos wireless at my friends houses as long as they have an Xbox 360 or PS3. Now THAT is a killer feature.

Advertisement
  2. DKYang

DKYang Well-Known Member

Nope, not me simply because I don't have a Samsung TV at all. If I did, it would be an awesome feature, but not something that will make me get it immediately. Not right now anyways.

3. pooginowski

pooginowski Active Member

That is a sweet feature that I didn't even know about. How do you share the files?

4. jzh797

jzh797 Member This Topic's Starter

It looks like pretty cool stuff and I read somewhere else that it was confirmed that they pushed a 720p video file.

How It Works - DLNA

pooginowski likes this.
  5. woofermazing

woofermazing Well-Known Member

This could be awesome with Sprint TV. I think I'm going to stay with the Evo though. Oh, and it's DLNA.

6. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

I didn't know the xbox and ps3 had this... awesome!

7. Kittyfae

Kittyfae Well-Known Member

Definitely one of the reasons I am looking into the phone for my next one. Plus, if the Epic can do SD TV-Out like the Galaxy S International, two different ways to get something on the screen. Yum. <3

8. mynamewastaken

mynamewastaken Well-Known Member

9. aznmode

aznmode Well-Known Member

What the smell! Are you kidding? WHOA..I need test this out. I wonder if having better GPU on the Epic though would make a huge difference using DLNA.

10. mynamewastaken

mynamewastaken Well-Known Member

I don't think GPU even comes in to play, it's just shifting the bits across the network. If there's any re-encoding to do that would all be on the CPU (unless the re-encoder was written to use the GPU too, not likely on the mobile version since it needs to run on many different handsets.)

11. RacCas

RacCas New Member

Where is the feature of this on the xbox 360?

12. gtl408

gtl408 Well-Known Member

Anyone try this Twonky app out yet? I've tried their server application before and it was buggy and slow, but obviously this is a different beast. Not all DLNA apps are created equal. The one that comes with the Droid X is horrible and is nit picky on the content that you're streaming. The Samsung one could play anything I threw at it, but I hate that there's no aspect ratio setting for it.