DMCA Fair Use act

Last Updated:

1. moutaindewdope

moutaindewdope Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

It is my understanding that with the New DMCA act, if I have a phone thats CDMA capable, as well as a Valid contract with a CDMA wireless network, that under fair use exception I can use that phone on that network?

If this is true, when do the wireless carriers have to comply with this, and remove the blacklist preventing me from using my Sprint Phones on verizon networks?

Advertisement
  2. kyler13

kyler13 Well-Known Member

The act covers the legality of unlocking your phone. It has nothing to do with ESN blacklisting which basically falls under "right to refuse service". Sorry. Unfortunately this is a far more useful law for SIM-based GSM networks where the network ID is separate from the device.

necosino likes this.
  3. Josh2

Josh2 Well-Known Member

Probably the wrong place to ask but could I use a EVO on verizon?

4. codeyh

codeyh Active Member

No.

5. Hangdog42

Hangdog42 Well-Known Member

Actually the DMCA has nothing whatsoever to do with phones (it is about copyrights), and that was the reason for the recent court ruling. Among other things, the DMCA prohibits circumventing DRM restrictions, and the morons at Apple were claiming that jailbreaking was equivalent to circumventing DRM. The court didn't buy that argument and said the DCMA simply doesn't apply.

6. najaboy

najaboy Well-Known Member

Not quite...

There was no ruling regarding the applicability. The ruling was in regards to a alwful use exception to the DMCA.

7. Hangdog42

Hangdog42 Well-Known Member

Correction on my part, it wasn't a court case, it was the Library of Congress (where the Copyright Office lives) issuing an exception for the DMCA. This exception allows:

Basically, according to the Copyright office, the DMCA doesn't apply to an individual jailbreaking their phone. What is less clear is the status of people providing tools that are used to jailbreak. Those may still be illegal under the DMCA.

8. Old Man

Old Man Well-Known Member

Actually, the portion relating to using handsets on other carriers is the next paragraph after the one quoted, which seems to apply more to apps. I believe the general idea behind this interpretation was that the software or firmware involved did not represent a sufficiently unique work to be protected under the DMCA. It was not actually addressing the legality of jailbreaking or anything else, only whether the software was copyright protected by the DMCA or not.

Thus I interpret it to be saying that circumventing any protection on a used phone to access the software in order to activate that phone with another carrier with whom you have a legal contract is not a DMCA violation. However, as previously noted, it is not saying that such protection is not allowed or that circumventing it is acceptable or that circumvention must be allowed. And the specific limitation to used phones is interesting as I'm not quite sure of the related definition for a "used" phone.