1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Do 4G Phones Work in 3G Networks?

Last Updated:

1. Isthmus

Isthmus Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I currently have a Droid that works on verizon's version of 3g. with all this talk about up coming metered pricing for wireless access, I was wondering whether when it comes time to upgrade my phone to a 4G device, whether it will also work on 3G networks. I ask because current speeds work well for my use and I'm tempted to keep my current unlimited plan if a metered plan becomes more expensive. however I won't be able to do that is my replacement 4G phone won't work in 3G networks.

Any thoughts?

Advertisement
  2. Fonseca

Fonseca Well-Known Member

Yes it should.

3. Isthmus

Sweet. good to know. Thanks.

4. AJ McKay

AJ McKay Well-Known Member

To get a smart phone now you have to accept the $30 data plan. What makes you think they won't require the 4G "buckets of megabytes" plan for any 4G phone, regardless of what network you're actually on?

Trust me, you get a 4G phone, you'll be paying 4G prices.

5. mrmojoz

mrmojoz Well-Known Member

Nothing to do with what was asked.

Also, the OP should look into how cell phone modems work. WiMax and LTE have nothing to do with the CDMA network a Verizon phone would have.

6. Isthmus

What makes me think is that If I continue making my monthly payment a carrier can't force me to sign a new plan after the current one expires. since the current one is unlimited, if the new throttled plan proves to be more expensive, i might be better served simply keeping the service I have now. of course that would only work if I either keep my current Droid, or whether whatever 4G phone I replace it with works on the current 3G network.

Understood, hence the reason for my question. As I understand it, verizon's 4g network is supposed to be LTE, but that is not the case currently. I could be wrong about this though.

7. sayood

sayood New Member

i want to buy samsung galaxy tab 10.1 LTE. but will it work on others normal 3G network

8. sayood

sayood New Member

i want to buy samsung galaxy tab 10.1 LTE from verizon but will it work on normal 3G networks? other than verizon