• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do Androids Really use data up THAT FAST??

Hi everyone.

Kind of mad right now. I just got an android phone a few days ago on Thursday. I got a 500MB data plan with it. I get a text today that says I've used 100% of the data alloted. What the crap?

So now I have to wait until April 17th until I can use data again. Do these Androids really use up that much data? If so, I'm starting to regret getting this phone. :mad:

Hi everyone.

Kind of mad right now. I just got an android phone a few days ago on Thursday. I got a 500MB data plan with it. I get a text today that says I've used 100% of the data alloted. What the crap?

So now I have to wait until April 17th until I can use data again. Do these Androids really use up that much data? If so, I'm starting to regret getting this phone. :mad:

What have you been doing?

Upvote 0
What have you been doing?

I have downloaded a couple of apps, used Twitter and Facebook, and that's it.

Here's the kicker though. I just chatted with a live person on the Rogers website, and he said that I have only used 24MB worth of data. Say what? I think I'm just going to call Rogers on Monday and just refrain from using any data tomorrow, just in case.

Everything has got to be sooo complicated.

By the way, I read somewhere that by using WiFi, you don't use any data. Is that true?

Upvote 0
If you only used your phone for downloading apps, twitter and facebook, then no it shouldn't burn through 500mb that fast. Most of the data hungry activities are from streaming media content such as youtube or internet radio. Even then it would take more than a couple of days to chew through that - unless of course you're doing it all day and night.

I think they made a mistake with your data usage. You should definitely call them to verify

Yes, wifi is something separate form your mobile data plan. Using wifi will not incur any mobile data usage.

Upvote 0
Do you have news and weather apps that are syncing data? Try disabling that.

Go to Settings > Accounts & Syncs

You might like to disable Facebook and Twitter sync. The only sync that should matter in a limited data plan is your Google contacts and mail. Everything else must be unchecked.

You can just manually refresh Twitter and Facebook feeds when you open them.

Are you also using instant messaging and email? These can also use up data.

Upvote 0
Do you have news and weather apps that are syncing data? Try disabling that.

Go to Settings > Accounts & Syncs

You might like to disable Facebook and Twitter sync. The only sync that should matter in a limited data plan is your Google contacts and mail. Everything else must be unchecked.

You can just manually refresh Twitter and Facebook feeds when you open them.

Are you also using instant messaging and email? These can also use up data.

That's another thing too. I do have news and weather apps, but I do not have them automatically update or sync, as I always turn the syncing off. It is always me that updates them as I wish to, like you said.

I don't use IM or email either.

So yeah, I'm going to be calling tomorrow and just see about it. I haven't been streaming anything, and the only data that I would have been using is from downloading a couple of apps, using Facebook and using Twitter. Oh and I think I Googled when the last Harry Potter comes out in theatres. And I always have the accounts and sync turned off. So I honestly don't think I could have used 500MB that fast.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Upvote 0
That's another thing too. I do have news and weather apps, but I do not have them automatically update or sync, as I always turn the syncing off. It is always me that updates them as I wish to, like you said.

So yeah, I'm going to be calling tomorrow and just see about it. I haven't been streaming anything, and the only data that I would have been using is from downloading a couple of apps, using Facebook and using Twitter. Oh and I think I Googled when the last Harry Potter comes out in theatres. And I always have the accounts and sync turned off. So I honestly don't think I could have used 500MB that fast.

The part where Facebook and Twitter would use up the most data is downloading avatars, or if you're into interval background refreshes. The latter can easily be shut and you can revert to manual on demand refreshes.

Still, all that won't explain your 500mb data deficit and you definitely need to check with your carrier.

Upvote 0

Does your carrier offer an unlimited data plan? If so, go with it. There's no point in not paying the extra $10 or $15 for as much data as you want, especially if you plan on tethering.

Upvote 0
I use streaming radio every day for about 3-4 hours. And the usual GMail, Facebook, and a couple of other apps that do background sync. I also am constantly downloading apps and what not. I also use it often to tether my laptop and tablet. Add on top of all that, I'm frequently using a SIP client to make in/outbound calls.

I use on average, 600-700MB per month. Something sounds rotten in Denmark here.

Upvote 0
Besides not having 3G and my service popping in and out randomly, My service has unlimited data. Just wish they had better phones for Metro Pcs. Perhaps now that they've gone down the 4G LTE route, We will see a better comparison with the "Contract" companies. I always recommend trying for an unlimited plan, In contract or not in contract. It's so easy to go over with data on an android. It's just terrible to have to watch yourself that much when the companies are making a small fortune off you. It already doesn't cost the providers anything for text messages, Yet they wrack people up. Ridiculous really.

Upvote 0
3g Watchdog.

And no, 500mb is not a lot of data. I regularly use 5-10gb a month.

DUDE how is that even possible?! I use my phone ALOT and the most I use is 2gb max..... do you tether?

See I dont get why people tether to me the verizon network is tooo slow.... Thats why I always use my wifi finder keychain to find a (whats a legal word for unsecured networks? ummmm...) Hot spots hahah

Upvote 0
DUDE how is that even possible?! I use my phone ALOT and the most I use is 2gb max..... do you tether?

See I dont get why people tether to me the verizon network is tooo slow.... Thats why I always use my wifi finder keychain to find a (whats a legal word for unsecured networks? ummmm...) Hot spots hahah
You think Verizon is slow, Try Metro Pcs. LOL. Tethering though, Uses up mass amounts of data. So much so that I think some of the service providers actually give out warnings to tetherers!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones