• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do anti viruses even work?

The antiviruses for android can't work. All apps run inside a sandbox. Even the antivirus is running inside its own sandbox. It has no access to any other apps or their data. It has no way to know what is malware and what is not. All the android antivirus apps do is carry a list of package names and flag them by name. It is trivial to rename an app, so the antivirus is useless.

Upvote 0
The antiviruses for android can't work. All apps run inside a sandbox. Even the antivirus is running inside its own sandbox. It has no access to any other apps or their data. It has no way to know what is malware and what is not. All the android antivirus apps do is carry a list of package names and flag them by name. It is trivial to rename an app, so the antivirus is useless.

/This
AV's are good only to not pass along an email, attachment, etc. to another phone, computer, etc.from your Android.
So I agree that they're typically not needed.

Reactions: BIONICLE38
Upvote 0
I will say as one of the people who fell prey to the Plankton Trojan having a good anti virus/malware app is not such a bad idea. I caught the Plankton trojan and had to resort to a factory reset to get things cleaned up. I was using Eset but had foolishly turned off automatic detection since I thought I was safe. I am always careful about what I install but the Plankton malware had an almost two month run on the Google Market after Bouncer was initiated to prevent malware before it was finally caught and dealt with and even some reputable apps fell prey to being a carrier.

With Early Mon's help I was able to search the system files but we could not locate the .jar file, which apparently hides very well and I know it was there since I was experiencing the exact symptoms of the malware plus one, my ringers constantly changed themselves.

I now run Avast and LBE Privacy Guard for and extra level of protection. I have not had any more occurrences since then but the thought that I could have saved days of work searching, resetting and setting my phone back up is enough to warrant using one in my eyes.

Upvote 0
I used to be an online malware fighter, so I'm -pretty big on AV...but I also kind of feel android's like any other linux based OS, that it's 'unlikely' but, to be on the safe side, after looking over what's available, I went with Avast, same as previous poster. Mostly because Avast had a pretty good rep already, for windows, as I just want to stay in the habit of running one...doesn't use up much juice, and hopefully, if some criminal syndicate puts one together, I won't get it...or pass it on...avast has been quietly running on my two android devices: nexus7 tab and galaxy nexus smartphone....so far, so good ;)

Reactions: SamuraiBigEd
Upvote 0
I work in IT and get "Security Alert" emails weekly. Just in case there is anyone who thinks Android cannot get a virus/malware, here are some articles:
(Security app highlight at bottom)

"Android: Everyone's favorite new malware target"
http://www.networkworld.com/communi...-target?source=NWWNLE_nlt_security_2012-09-06

"FBI warns Loozfon, FinFisher mobile malware hitting Android phones"
http://www.networkworld.com/communi...-phones?source=NWWNLE_nlt_security_2012-10-16

"Increasingly virulent adware threatens Android user privacy"
http://www.networkworld.com/news/20...45.html?source=NWWNLE_nlt_security_2012-10-25

"Android malware still rising despite Google's security improvements"
Android malware still rising despite Google's security improvements

And finally: "20 security and privacy apps for Androids and iPhones"
http://www.networkworld.com/slideshow/66552/?source=NWWNLE_nlt_security_2012-09-27

Upvote 0
None of those writeups mentioned anything that would allow an antivirus to work on android. The are not allowed to read the files that make up other apks. They have no way to know if an app is the real angrybirds or if it is one that I have modified and put a virus in. Until they have a way to look at the contents of a package and read the files that make it up, they won't be able to work.

Reactions: Artine
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones