Do anti viruses even work?General

1. BIONICLE38

BIONICLE38 Guest

Doe anti viruses even work on android devices or are they just a waste of memory/battery?

I'm using lookout basic on my elite..

Advertisement
  2. Liamo_210

Liamo_210 Well-Known Member

Yes anti viruses work but the real question is do you need one . My answer for myself is no you dint as you have to be silly and download stupid stuff to get a virus.

P.s I moved the thread into optimus elite section as you will probably get more replies mate
    BIONICLE38 likes this.
  3. Murf1

Murf1 Well-Known Member

I use Avast (also has cool tools if your phone is lost or stolen) and it has yet to detect a virus. However, like one poster said, I don't do a lot of practices that would make me very susceptible to viruses. Only get my apps from "Play" and avoid suspicious items.
    BIONICLE38 likes this.
  4. giantpune

giantpune Well-Known Member

The antiviruses for android can't work. All apps run inside a sandbox. Even the antivirus is running inside its own sandbox. It has no access to any other apps or their data. It has no way to know what is malware and what is not. All the android antivirus apps do is carry a list of package names and flag them by name. It is trivial to rename an app, so the antivirus is useless.
    Artine and BIONICLE38 like this.
  5. mysticalnyte

mysticalnyte Well-Known Member

/This
    AV's are good only to not pass along an email, attachment, etc. to another phone, computer, etc.from your Android.
    So I agree that they're typically not needed.
    BIONICLE38 likes this.
  6. Yes, mainly 3rd party apps. Its a must if your isntalling apk's. I downloaded some apps and avg stopped a few apps before they got installed.
    dylo22 and BIONICLE38 like this.
  7. Leslie Ann

Leslie Ann Well-Known Member

If you only download from reliable developers, you can easily get away without one.

However, if you are one to just install anything and everything, especially stuff you download from Pirate Bay, Limewire, etc... Then you ABSOLUTELY need one. This goes double if you are rooted.
    BIONICLE38 and Artine like this.
  8. SamuraiBigEd

SamuraiBigEd Under paid Sasquatch! Moderator

I will say as one of the people who fell prey to the Plankton Trojan having a good anti virus/malware app is not such a bad idea. I caught the Plankton trojan and had to resort to a factory reset to get things cleaned up. I was using Eset but had foolishly turned off automatic detection since I thought I was safe. I am always careful about what I install but the Plankton malware had an almost two month run on the Google Market after Bouncer was initiated to prevent malware before it was finally caught and dealt with and even some reputable apps fell prey to being a carrier.

With Early Mon's help I was able to search the system files but we could not locate the .jar file, which apparently hides very well and I know it was there since I was experiencing the exact symptoms of the malware plus one, my ringers constantly changed themselves.

I now run Avast and LBE Privacy Guard for and extra level of protection. I have not had any more occurrences since then but the thought that I could have saved days of work searching, resetting and setting my phone back up is enough to warrant using one in my eyes.
    cfreeman90, dylo22, agentc13 and 4 others like this.
  9. BIONICLE38

BIONICLE38 Guest

Imma just stick with an antivirus, it's better safe then sorry.

P.s. thank for all of y'alls feedback;)
    SamuraiBigEd likes this.
  10. duckfeet

duckfeet Member

I used to be an online malware fighter, so I'm -pretty big on AV...but I also kind of feel android's like any other linux based OS, that it's 'unlikely' but, to be on the safe side, after looking over what's available, I went with Avast, same as previous poster. Mostly because Avast had a pretty good rep already, for windows, as I just want to stay in the habit of running one...doesn't use up much juice, and hopefully, if some criminal syndicate puts one together, I won't get it...or pass it on...avast has been quietly running on my two android devices: nexus7 tab and galaxy nexus smartphone....so far, so good ;)
    SamuraiBigEd likes this.
  11. agentc13

agentc13 Daleks Über Alles VIP Member

Let me chime in that I don't use one and have never had an issue. I download only from Google Play or Amazon. It's not always necessary.

That being said, it doesn't hurt to run one if you are worried as they can happen even if you follow best practices (like SBE said).
    BIONICLE38 and SamuraiBigEd like this.
  12. Murf1

Murf1 Well-Known Member

I work in IT and get "Security Alert" emails weekly. Just in case there is anyone who thinks Android cannot get a virus/malware, here are some articles:
    (Security app highlight at bottom)

"Android: Everyone's favorite new malware target"
    http://www.networkworld.com/communi...-target?source=NWWNLE_nlt_security_2012-09-06

"FBI warns Loozfon, FinFisher mobile malware hitting Android phones"
    http://www.networkworld.com/communi...-phones?source=NWWNLE_nlt_security_2012-10-16

"Increasingly virulent adware threatens Android user privacy"
    http://www.networkworld.com/news/20...45.html?source=NWWNLE_nlt_security_2012-10-25

"Android malware still rising despite Google's security improvements"
    Android malware still rising despite Google's security improvements

And finally: "20 security and privacy apps for Androids and iPhones"
    http://www.networkworld.com/slideshow/66552/?source=NWWNLE_nlt_security_2012-09-27
  13. agentc13

agentc13 Daleks Über Alles VIP Member

SamuraiBigEd likes this.
  14. giantpune

giantpune Well-Known Member

None of those writeups mentioned anything that would allow an antivirus to work on android. The are not allowed to read the files that make up other apks. They have no way to know if an app is the real angrybirds or if it is one that I have modified and put a virus in. Until they have a way to look at the contents of a package and read the files that make it up, they won't be able to work.
    Artine likes this.