• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do ANY of the Android IM apps actually stay connected?!?!?!

homerpez

Mar 5, 2010
:mad: I'm upset, folks. :mad:

After months of trying, I STILL cannot find a single instant messaging app for my HTC Eris (2.1) that will STAY CONNECTED.

I primarily want to connect to MSN (Windows Live, whatever they call it now) as well as Yahoo and AIM, though if I could only get MSN to work I'd be satisfied. However all the apps I've tried (ALL OF THEM!) behave the same way....

Each one will connect, and either not show me as online to the rest of the world (verified my by gf), show my friends as not being signed in (when they actually are), and randomly disconnect me and NEVER RECONNECT ME unless I manually bring up the app on the screen. It's as if the apps have no connection to the IM's servers, or reality itself.

I have tried MSN Talk, Meebo, Ebuddy, Nimbuzz. Each one of these claims to automatically reconnect if there's a problem, but NONE of them ACTUALLY DO.

No matter what, I drop off, I'm shown as "signed out" to the outside world, and the apps will only reconnect (or pretend to reconnect) when I manually bring the app to the screen.

I would expect that any IM might disconnect if I went out of signal range and came back, however this happens even when the signal is strong and uninterrupted. And it NEVER reconnects if I leave the phone alone. ONLY if I manually bring the IM app up does it even go through the motions of a reconnect.

I can try messaging people even when it looks like it's connected to the server(s), but over half the time, the messages don't make it, because it's not REALLY connected at all.

Again, this is using ALL IM apps I've tried so far.

I refuse to believe that Android has ZERO working IM apps available, so... is there one that actually works properly? Is there some setting or tweak that will "keep-alive" the connection? Is there a problem with my Eris? Or... are there really no working IM apps for Android?

Thanks for any tips and advice in advance.

P.S. - Yes, the "Mobile Network Always On" checkbox is active, before anyone asks. :p

Hey why not try Agile Messenger I travel globally for work and use this faithfully. As far as disconnections I have had the opposite problem. It stays connected and will force reconnect even when the phone is sitting beside my laptop that is connecting or trying. I have used this app for years as they also did a treo app and then I used them with the iPhone now Android. All have functioned similarly. I think you would be pleased at its value for the buck.

Upvote 0
All right...

I tried Fring last night, leaving it on to see what would happen. Another one bites the dust. Not only did the outside world see me logging on and off all night (apparently a LOT), but the program itself closed somewhere along the way. At least the other apps will stay in memory (while not staying connected, of course).

I'll probably be avoiding "Agile Messenger" too. From the reviews alone, it looks like it has a worse problem with disconnecting than even the apps I've tried. It seems to be a pay app too.... I think the only way I could feel worse about this is to pay cash for an app and have THAT not work. At least my suffering so far has been free. :p Not to mention, the free version has expired two months ago...

I'll reluctantly try E-Buddy again, though I have my doubts that it'll make a difference... also never liked how they spray their ad on your status. But with no other options, why not.

I hope it's not just a problem with the Eris... just seems so odd that NONE of the IM apps stay connected. My gf's Blackberry is using a STOCK app, and it just works. :mad:

Upvote 0
Homer, I'd suggest you have Verizon check out your phone -- are you frequently in dead areas or have trouble getting data? If not, you might want to confirm your phone is working before you keep banging your head against a wall. It's probably NOT your phone but just in case, go to the Verizon techies and let them know what's happening and see if they can check it out for signal dropping or something like that. Can't hurt.

And if it IS a problem with the phone, you might be able to get them to upgrade you (for a nominal fee, of course) to something shiny and new ;-)

BTW, based on what I've been reading here (I'm as of yet Droid X-less -- until Thursday, that is) Google Talk is supposedly very solid and replicates a lot of the BBM features, and it's easily installed on a BB so you can still keep in touch with your girlfriend (I have the same issue upcoming, mine has a BB and doesn't want me to abandon her on BBM, the compromise is Google Talk). Hope that helps.

-B-

Upvote 0
Well, that would work except she's not the only person I want to talk to :p She knows to text/call anyway... just that she was the one who notices my IM status the most (like If I'm on or not, or if it's working).

The idea is that when I take my phone out with me, that MSN friends (and to a lesser extent, Yahoo friends) can message me. Something any "smart" phone should be able to do. The only problem is that I'm often shown as offline, even when I'm in a good cell area.

Phone works fine, texts work fine, but none of these IM apps seem to really stay connected (or reconnect if there's a problem). I would understand perfectly if there were "drop-outs" when I'm in a bad cell area, that makes sense. But what doesn't make sense is that none of these programs want to reconnect when the signal comes back...

Upvote 0
I feel your frustration, I went through 3 or 4 IM apps before I found one that would stay connected.

eBuddy.

The only drawback that i've seen so far is that you are unable to select a display pic/avatar, and regardless of what you put in your message, it always appends "on eBuddy mobile messenger, visit www.ebuddy.com" or something along those lines to your personal message. Its not a big deal overall.

I eagerly await microsoft to release an official Android app (not exactly holding my breath either)

Reactions: homerpez
Upvote 0
Well, that would work except she's not the only person I want to talk to :p She knows to text/call anyway... just that she was the one who notices my IM status the most (like If I'm on or not, or if it's working).

The idea is that when I take my phone out with me, that MSN friends (and to a lesser extent, Yahoo friends) can message me. Something any "smart" phone should be able to do. The only problem is that I'm often shown as offline, even when I'm in a good cell area.

Phone works fine, texts work fine, but none of these IM apps seem to really stay connected (or reconnect if there's a problem). I would understand perfectly if there were "drop-outs" when I'm in a bad cell area, that makes sense. But what doesn't make sense is that none of these programs want to reconnect when the signal comes back...

Understood, but all the same, you should have your phone checked by Verizon to make sure there isn't some sort of issue or something wrong hardware-wise... Hopefully it's a simple solution and not just the programs that are the culprit.

Upvote 0
I feel your frustration, I went through 3 or 4 IM apps before I found one that would stay connected.

eBuddy.

The only drawback that i've seen so far is that you are unable to select a display pic/avatar, and regardless of what you put in your message, it always appends "on eBuddy mobile messenger, visit www.ebuddy.com" or something along those lines to your personal message. Its not a big deal overall.

I eagerly await microsoft to release an official Android app (not exactly holding my breath either)

Well, it's been a couple days now, and I've verified that eBuddy comes out the winner here. Been connected between 2 and 3 days straight, with no signs that I've permanently lost the connection. Any time I go to send a message, the other end receives it, and all's well with the world.

It's unfortunate that this is the ONLY app I've found that works right (though I didn't try that Palringo one yet, sorry), and also unfortunate that they spray their advertising in your status bar 24/7. But I guess if you're the only game in town, you can take advantage. If only it did Skype.. oh well. :p

So if anyone else is feeling the IM pain, try eBuddy since it seems to actually work. Thanks, everyone.

Upvote 0
Ok so after i read all the responses i'll start off with sayig i def feel your pain. I too have stuck with ebuddy because i found they had the best connection--even over the native gtalk app ( this is wat i primarily use).
A couple things came to mind when i read this tho.
1. Is your mobile network set to always on?
I found that eventho this helps save battery life when unchecked it does interfere with connectivity.
2. While in ebuddy check your settings. Make sure the extend battery life option is off. This would delay your messages or even disconnect you until you reopen the app.
3. Are you using any type of task manager?
If you are then it could be that its just doing ta job-- killing your connection after X amount of inactivity.

Im no pro on the subject, just sharing some ideas. Hope it helps

Upvote 0
yep, its true android got the shaft in the im app department but in my opinion the only one that seems to work is ebuddy. i really dont seem to lose my connection. i just wish i could get rid of those chat bubbles. oh well...

as far as people wanting to change their pic on ebuddy, it cant be done on the android app. go to ebuddy.com, log in to your ebuddy account with the web im service and there is options there to change your userpic. just click on the avatar and go from there. check your phone and the pic is updated.

on another note, i hear trillian for android is due to come out sometime soon.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones