Do any of you use more than 1GB of data per month ?

1. Bully74uk

Bully74uk Well-Known Member

And if so, what are your circumstances ? no WiFi ? heavy user? what do you have syncing etc ?

I would like to know whether many people actually exceed 1GB of 3g/H data per month especially after the honeymoon period.

Can those with data monitoring widgets provide some figures please ?

Advertisement
    :
  2. brad-short

brad-short Well-Known Member

300MB and 7 days left. I download apps from market daily, like RSS and check out Facebook and Twitter. Plus i work in IT so am pretty busy. I would say 2 hrs of phone use a day.

Only people downloading vids, podcasts or streaming should have an issue.
  3. Ten10

Ten10 Well-Known Member

Last month I used 73MB month before I used just over a gig. Might have been around 1.23GB. I was doing a lot of travelling and relying on the navigation. Also took a few train journeys and did a bit of browsing and reading news in rss + company email.
  4. Bully74uk

A reassuring first post, thanks.
  5. avacomputers

avacomputers Well-Known Member

Yes. I used 2gb last month.
  6. no fit state

no fit state Well-Known Member

I only manage about 500mb a month, but I'm on wifi at home
  7. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Use about 600mb/month + wifi usage.

Not dabbled with nav yet, but if I did I'm sure I could easily rack up 1-2gb.
  8. Bully74uk

With regards to Sat Nav am I correct in thinking that Google Nav will eat data whereas CoPilot although not free will work without data from the maps stored on the SD card ?
  9. Bully74uk

Thanks but this is worthless without more information about your usage circumstances ?

Do you not use WiFi ?
    Do you use Sat Nav a lot ?
    How much time do you spend using data ?

Etc etc ?
  10. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Yes.

Google nav uses approx 1mb per 10miles. Copilot wouldnt use any.
    Bully74uk likes this.
  11. MisterMoleyMole

MisterMoleyMole Active Member

This is my 1st month with my desire, and i on track for using 500mb this month at the mo and i use wifi at home.

I wouldnt even say i am a heavy user. Most of this data is all used in background tasks the majority i can see is being used by the google calendar.....craaazy.
    Bully74uk likes this.
  12. Bully74uk

Thanks. I have WiFi at home and at work (in my office at least) so I don't think i'll have an issue with data when I get my Desire.
  13. avacomputers

avacomputers Well-Known Member

I use WiFi at home, not at work. I don't use nav much but did a little. I use Pandora a lot and YouTube. I spend almost all day on my phone.
    Bully74uk likes this.
  14. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

15. Bully74uk

Thanks, that explains the 2GB usage then !
  16. Bully74uk

17. Sypher

Sypher Well-Known Member

Not so far. I'm lucky to have WiFi at home and work.
  18. Ian80

Ian80 Active Member

I've used a very pathetic 14.5mb this month, which for my contract starts on the 23rd of May.

I am a VERY light user when it comes to mobile data though, I only use it when I'm out of the house as I have wi-fi at home.

And when I am out I'm nearly always with someone or doing something so I don't really have much time to use the internet intensely apart from refreshing facebook, twitter, the weather, having facebook chat on and browsing the odd website :)

I did also use about 30 minutes of maps this month too.
  19. Bully74uk

Bumping up to hopefully get some more results...
  20. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Don't have a desire, but I used 5/6GB per month. This is not including using wifi at home/work.

I have 10 email accounts sync'd

I stream pandora daily

I tether lightly when needed on the road

Youtube.

Tapatalk all my forums

A lot of browsing.

Always checking the market for new apps

3 calenders sync'd

Contacts sync's

RSS feeds

Facebook/FML/engadget widgets

And more...

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.
  21. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

I used about 1.2Gb last month, however, I do use TVcatchup a fair bit in my lunch hour and stuff at work watching the news.

I also download a fair few podcasts over 3G as well to listen to on my 2 hour commute to work.

Other than that, I use around 10Mb a day on browsing/emails/twitter etc
  22. tuatha

tuatha Well-Known Member

I once downloaded one of those usage monitors and it said I was using 75MB a day.

So you'd be looking at over 2GB a month (luckily I'm on wi-fi most of the time).

It's very easy to go over that 1GB limit if you're using 3G a lot - you only need to download 35MB a day. A short youtube video will be about 10MB. Then you have sites with high res pics, Facebook with all those photos (I'm not on Facebook, but all the same), last.fm, etc. It all adds up.

You just need to work out whether you'll be on wi-fi enough to balance it out.
  23. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Well-Known Member

Not for me it doesn't. Weekend trip - 184 miles both ways (368 miles total).

15MB used total.

Maybe it was something else?
  24. Desire D

Desire D Well-Known Member

I've used about 450mb in my first month, would say average usage of internet, Market and email I guess.

I use Wifi when at home and don't use it at all for SatNav/YouTube/Facebook/TV or music streaming.

1GB should be plenty for 90% of users. Heh I sound like a 02 sales rep :D
  25. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Well-Known Member

I've had the phone was 2 months now and I've used 1gb of my data plan in total and 2gb of WiFi.

I only have WiFi at home and that's where I do most of my YouTube watching, Beebplayer, I thought I used quite a bit.

I have Hotmail and work mail setup but download mail myself, don't have Background Data on, actually just started using the Background data.

Browsing the web uses most of mine, what else do people use that uses data? I don't use Google Maps at all really, will do at some point though.