Do apps and widgets auto sync even when they aren't in use?Tips

Last Updated:

1. JohnJSal

JohnJSal Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

When you have auto sync settings turned on for certain things, like Facebook, Twitter, weather, etc. but you *don't* have these apps open or any widgets on your homescreens, do they still sync at the specified times?

I ask for general knowledge, but also because I'm curious if my Dictionary.com Word of the Day widget (or even the app itself) is updating itself every day, even though I don't use the widget on my homescreens (and the app hasn't been opened in a while either). But Dictionary.com is always listed in the running programs list.

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. s_special

s_special Well-Known Member

yes i do think so. i never use the news widget and it seems to always be current.

if i know i'll need my battery for extended time in the day I'll turn off "accounts & sync" un-check box under "background data". saves a lot of battery. if i know i'll be around a charger i just leave it checked.

plus for individual apps you should be able to go into settings and set sync times

3. JohnJSal

JohnJSal Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Most syncing I do have turned off. But I'm wondering specifically about Twitter, Facebook, and Dictionary.com. If I remain signed in to the former two, does that mean they will always update, even when not open? And for Dictionary.com, there are no syncing options, so there's no way to turn off Word of the Day syncing that I know of.