Do APPS use up your data?

1. cheekys00

cheekys00 Well-Known Member

I install windows, so I need the "best" weather apps I can get to keep me updated. So I downloaded the MY CAST WEATHER app, since it came with high reviews. I had it installed for a few hrs, then I noticed the GPS icon popped up on the top of the screen. Does that mean this app is useing up my data plan? Can anyone give me a good heads up on a good weather app? I appreciate it.
    Shane

Advertisement
  2. Android>Apple

Android>Apple Well-Known Member

All weather apps use data. If you don't want to use data, you can't use a weather app.
  3. wayrad

wayrad Well-Known Member

GPS per se doesn't use data. However, once your phone gets a GPS fix it is undoubtedly using data to report your location and retrieve the appropriate weather forecast.
    cheekys00 likes this.
  4. cheekys00

cheekys00 Well-Known Member

Alright. Thanks, no need to get uppity, just did not know.
  5. barqers

barqers Well-Known Member

Depends also if you have wifi on. If you have wifi on it'll use that connection, otherwise it'll use your 3G connection. Might be obvious to most people but just in case.
    cheekys00 likes this.
  6. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Well-Known Member

On My Cast, you can manually enter your location rather than use GPS.
    cheekys00 likes this.
  7. ABCDawg

ABCDawg Member

Your best bet is to take a good look at the applications security settings when you install. An app that needs to use data of any kind will request access to the internet.

Bear in mind, this means accessing a network of SOME kind. Be it wifi or your carrier's network, the app doesn't care. It'll take the connection to the net from wherever it can get it.

Also, for the record, I use Weatherbug for my weather needs. :)
    cheekys00 likes this.
  8. Android>Apple

Android>Apple Well-Known Member

I wasn't being uppity I was simply stating that you can't use a weather service without using data. Like the above poster said, you can get GPS signal without data however a weather app is constantly checking for weather updates at regular intervals and that will always use data. If you are in range of WiFi thats not a big deal but if you aren't, then you will use data constantly.
  9. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

No. It means your GPS receiver is being used. Whether you rapp is using data or not is an entirely separate matter and has nothing to do with the GPS icon. Not all GPS apps use data but a weather app most certainly will as it has to retrieve the weather data somehow.

Be careful assuming that you can read tone from text.