do custom ROMs allow firmware update?

Last Updated:

1. hakujin

hakujin Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

might be a dumb question, but I don't wanna do the fw update on my fresh 2.1.2 hero, if it's going to break root. I'm guessing not but want to be sure.

thanks!

Advertisement
  2. hakujin

anyone? sheesh, I'm starting to feel like a leper here. I thought this would be an easy one for someone more in the know.

3. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands VIP Member

Firmware is the version of android you have and sprint's bloatware, I believe. It won't update if you are rooted, and you don't want to.

4. barnacles

barnacles Well-Known Member

Correct. Updating any firmware through sprint, assuming custom ROMS allowed it, would break root. ROMs do not have this option, and as mentioned, you don't want it anyway.

5. mslisaj

mslisaj Well-Known Member

Okay Gentlemen, I have had this question and instead of starting a new thread I'm sure you can answer it here. I am rooted with DC v2.09.1, do I have to ever worry about an OTA update sent to my phone by sprint that I didn't want? I have updated my profile and PRL but in the back of my mind I wonder if I'm opening the door to sprint to come in and update everything (I like my phone just the way it is now)? Should I worry about this? From what I read here the answer would be no but let's get it out there for a real answer..........

Thanks so much.......

Lisa :)

6. mslisaj

mslisaj Well-Known Member

Okay Gentlemen, I have had this question and instead of starting a new thread I'm sure you can answer it here. I am rooted with DC v2.09.1, do I have to ever worry about an OTA update sent to my phone by sprint that I didn't want? I have updated my profile and PRL but in the back of my mind I wonder if I'm opening the door to sprint to come in and update everything? Should I worry about this? From what I read here the answer would be no but let's get it out there for a real answer..........

Thanks so much.......

Lisa :)

7. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands VIP Member

I am pretty sure you can turn that feature (auto-update) off. I haven't done it, so I am not sure where it is, but I also don't think rooted phones will auto update if sprint ever releases an ota update for you.

8. hakujin

Exactly what I needed to know. Thanks!