• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Do I have to install new ROM?

AF4mmg

Lurker
Jan 25, 2011
I am very new at this. I rooted my Droidx successfully :) so I could use the tethering app. I will back up everything as I should but do I have to install a new ROM or can I just use the tethering app with the original ROM? When I get more adventurous I may install a new ROM but not yet. Thanks in advance for any help that is given.

You can use the tethering app on the stock ROM :) Just download it from the market. However, I recommend flashing a ROM, and I recommend Apex as it is very "noob" friendly. It is actually much easier than you would expect. The benefits to a custom ROM include:
A better launcher,
Much faster and less lag,
More customization options :)

Reactions: AF4mmg
Upvote 0
i recommend liberty too. i like it better than apex and it's about to get an update.

as for the launcher change mentioned above, you can change the launcher whether you are rooted or not, or running the stock ROM or not.

The three main launchers i know are, GO launcher(i use this one and its my favorite of the three), ADW EX launcher, and Launcher Pro/Plus. They are all faster than the stock launcher and offer many of the same options between them with each having its different looks and tweaks to make them individual...

my recommendation is just try them all out and see which you like best. it's probably best to give them a week each so the programs settle in a run stable while you are using them...

Upvote 0
+1 for Liberty if your not a fan of motoblur
+1 for Apex if you dig some of the blur gestural

Both are awesome ROMs VERYY simple to install I know it seems intimidating right now but once you do it you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner...

Before installing a ROM I always -
- Backup with TiBu (to get all my apps to the new ROM)
- Backup with Recovery (incase I don't like the new ROM or something goes wrong I can go right back to exactly like my phone was before I began fiddling)
- Backup my ADW EX (so I don't have to re-setup my home screens)

Do that and having your phone all setup and running better then you thought it could is never more than 20 - 30 minutes away

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones