Do I "have" to use custom roms?

Last Updated:

1. solidkevin

solidkevin Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So Im kinda confused of this whole custom rom thing, is it like a custom firmware on PSP or jailbreak on iphone? Does HTC update the hero a lot? I mean what if I just wanted to stick with HTCs firmwares? Are they good? What is the most significant advantage of the custom roms? I like things simple.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
  2. Bhav

Bhav Well-Known Member

If you don't know why a custom ROM would be useful, then you probably don't need it!

You're right...it is similar to custom firmware on the PSP or jailbreaking an iPhone.

But, the difference between Android phones and the iPhone is that you don't need to use custom ROMs to install apps that aren't on the market. You can download apps online and install them via HTC Sync, without having to mess with ROMs (and voiding warranties)

3. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

You don't even need to use HTC Sync, you can download apps directly from 3rd party sites and install from from the phone, custom ROM's imo are not for the average user (like me), they need a certain level of knowledge and dont necesarily return the investment, HTC seem happy to be updating this handset at the moment, although a time may come that they don't, and by then I doubt the hardware would be upto any new software anyway.

4. solidkevin

solidkevin Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Awesome! Thanks, is 2.1 is coming to hero through htc though?

5. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

Yes it will be, no fixed date yet, best guess Q1 2010, depending on your carrier also!