do i need a restore point?

Last Updated:

1. shaynea

shaynea Member This Topic's Starter

I did the search thing to see if this has been already asked but didnt see it.
    I was wondering if there is some sort of restore point i need to do before i start downloading apps and making changes? If there is a way to do a restore point maybe a little idea how to do it would be great, thanks

Advertisement
  2. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Installing apps and uninstalling apps doesn't have the same affect on an Android phone as it does a Windows PC. So if all you're going to do is add apps, and some homescreen customizations, you're good to go.

As you do build an app list, you may want to backup your apps to your sdcard in case you need to restore them at some point. I recommend ASTRO File Manager for this task.

Somewhere down the road, if you get into more adventurous endeavors ... you'll want to look into something called SPRecover (aka 'Sir PsychoS Recovery' console). That enables you to create images (called "nandroid backups") and you can restore back to previous versions of your DROID. Cool stuff ... but a bit more involved than just installing an app.

3. kennyidaho

kennyidaho Well-Known Member

Really the device already has a restore point built into it. If something goes wrong you can hard reset (erase everything from the device) and start over fresh. Once you sign in with your gmail account all your contacts/emails/calendar and some key settings should be downloaded to the phone again. However applications will not - they will show up in a list in the market where you choose to download them again.

However some apps disappear from the market so eventually it may be wise to back them up by following Joe's advice.

Things like pictures, music and videos are stored on you SD card. If you want to you can make back ups of this to a computer fairly easy.

4. shaynea

ok, thanks for the info. I was wondering because if i have to do a hard reset then i would have to send the phone back to lower 48 to recieve a data packet? i live in alaska so if i start my phone here it wont be able to recieve data. so i was thinking like windows if i had a point to go back to then i wouldnt have to do a hard reset.

5. kennyidaho

kennyidaho Well-Known Member

Well anytime you hardreset the phone it will need to reactivate with Verizon. How are you using data up there? Just WiFi? I see on the map that it's all data roaming - I am not sure about Verizon but some carriers add a clause which makes possible for them to cancel your account if the majority of your mins or data is used in roaming areas.

6. shaynea

At my house i have wifi, i do have 3g reception but only 1 bar. I just dont have strong reception here. My att phones also have 3g here but also not a strong signal. Vz uses ACS towers up here.