do i need antivirus app on new phone?

Last Updated:

1. bigjoncoop

bigjoncoop Well-Known Member

Hey fellas thanks for all ur help

I've been guy for quite some time but I am new to mobile devices.

I am wondering if its worth having anti virus software on my new mobile device. I only d/l apps from Google play. I just not sure if its worth useing systems resources for a anti virus app.

Thanks for ur help. If u guys do recommend anti virus software what's the best free one?

I have a LG L38c running Android 2.3.6

2. ardchoille

ardchoille Well-Known Member

You don't need anti-virus on your android device. One of the best practices is to only download apps from the google play store, and you've adopted that practice already.

Viruses on android is something you don't need to worry about because there aren't any viruses for android - it would be a waste of time to write one due to the way android is designed.
  3. DragonSlayer95

DragonSlayer95 Resident Air Bender Moderator

Hey there :)

As long as you download apps from the play store and don't side load (download apk's from a 3rd party), anti virus software is pretty much useless unless it's got a lost phone tracker built in like lookout does.

Google Play has been good about not allowing apps with malware in their market, so I'd say go without having the software.

I haven't used anti virus in probably about 2 years and haven't caught a hint of malware yet :)

Hope this helps you out.

Edit, swift kick by a ninja :p
  4. bigjoncoop

bigjoncoop Well-Known Member

Well guys thanks for your help. I love this forum. I asked questions and within five minutes I got answers. Thanks a lot fellas
    LilBit likes this.
  5. LilBit

LilBit Well-Known Member Contributor

That's how we roll!!!:D
    ardchoille likes this.