Do I need both back up apps?

Last Updated:

1. ralphtrent

ralphtrent Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello
    I have Rom Manager and made a backup of my rom with ClockworkMod. I also have downloaded and created a back up with Titanium. Do i need both? Or will my clockworkmod backup be good enough?

Also, do I need to back up my kernal if I want to put another on there os is that already taken care of with the above options?

Thanks,
    RaphTrent

Advertisement
  2. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

The ClockworkMod backup is used to create an emergency image of your phone's current state as it is NOW (nandroid backup) in case something goes wrong. If you revert to your backup, then you wipe out anything you've done since then.

TiBU backs up all your apps AND app data, so that when you load a new ROM you can get up and going quickly. They are two different animals.

You can't delete a kernel. You can only flash a new kernel over the top of the existing one (no wipe required). Make SURE you can access recovery through x+power (not ROM Manager) BEFORE flashing kernels or ROMs. If something goes wrong and you're caught in a boot loop, it'll be your only way to restore your nandroid backup.

3. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

ClockworkMod makes a backup of the ROM - like a snapshot of the exact phone setup at that moment to roll back to that exact ROM (settings, data, etc). It backs up every single thing from the OS to data and apps and settings.

Titanium or MyBackUp Pro backup system data and apps+data.. they cannot roll you back to a ROM or backup the actual ROM OS. But, in a ROM, you could use them to restore data and/or apps and are typically used to then update your newer ROM with some older key data and apps you had before you flashed a ROM.

so, they are 2 very different things. Most all that root use both. use ClockworkMod to make ROM backups and then use a backup app to backup apps, data, settings, etc.

the .zip kernel file, once flashed, is flashed onto your phone. so no real need to backup the .zip file but ClockworkMod would back it up if you leave the zip file on your SD. I put 2-3 kernals on my SD card in a directory called /kernals/ and if I do a ClockworkMod backup of course they get backed up. this way, if 1 kernel is an issue, I can flash right to another

hope that helps

4. ralphtrent

Thanks for the replies.

Well I am holding down x, powering up, keeping x held and the phone shows the ! in a triangle and phone laying next to it. Almost like the ! in the triangle is looking at the phone in a coffin. No the phone does not do anything when I boot this way, hold power normally turns the phone on as expected

what are the steps again. I was able to boot into rom manager this morning but now I forget what I did. do I have keep x held down?

5. ralphtrent

nevermind I go to the andriod system recovery (e3). I forgot when to do the power up+camera button OK since I get here, am I safe to apply a chevy01 kernal (1 gHz low v I was thinking)