Do I need to format my SD card?Support

1. offanairplane

offanairplane Well-Known Member

I am going to get an Incredible next month. Right now I have an Eris, and I have a 16Gb SDcard in it, which has tons of stuff on it. Music pictures, app skins, data, etc.

When I get my Incredible, do I need to do anything special to that card to make it ready for the new phone? When I download all my apps to the new phone, will they find their data and stuff on the SDcard and be able to locate everything?

I will probably delete the root related stuff off of the card just because I won't need it on the Incredible (it wouldn't work anyway). But is there anything else I need to delete, so the Incredible can setup whatever folders it needs to?

I want to get a 32Gb card, but until I can afford it, I'll have to make sure my 16Gb card will work on the new phone.

Thanks!

Advertisement
    :
  2. olbriar

olbriar Moderator Moderator

I'm betting your sd card will be fine in your new Dinc. I wouldn't format it until I was satisfied I had to. I took my sd card from a blackberry to the incredible without any problems. I did delete some left over junk from the old phone after I was sure they weren't needed. As long as your sd card has enough space for the Dinc to put down a folder or two.. you should be good. Oh..... one other thing, you are going to love your new Dinc. It's an eris on steroids!
  3. offanairplane

Thanks!

I am using about 10Gb and so I have about 6Gb free.

I am excited about getting the dInc. I have heard many good thing. I love everything about my Eris, except it's lack of speed and internal memory, and maybe screen size. Incredible fixes all those problems, so it should be the perfect phone for me.
  4. jbdan

jbdan Well-Known Member

This should work in theory yes. You shouldn't have any issues.

Are you going to root the Inc? If so I recommend you making a backup of your SD card on your PC/laptop/mac and formatting the card to FAT32. Then copy and paste your backup back on to your SD card.

Enjoy your Inc!
  5. offanairplane

I am not going to be rooting at first.
    Is there any way to tell if the SD card is already formatted to fat32?

edit:
    Answered my own question. I plugged the Eris into my laptop, and looked at the SDcard, and it said fat32.

Is there any reason to reformat it again, if it's already the right file system?
    I will take your advice and back it up again though. I backed it up when I rooted my Eris, but there is a lot more on it now than back then.
  6. jbdan

jbdan Well-Known Member

As long as you have your backup it certainly won't hurt the SD card to reformat it to FAT32 so you start with a relatively clean slate. Get rid of all the junk and keep only what you know you will use on your Inc. Can't hurt other than taking 30 minutes or so :)
  7. offanairplane

The tricky part is figuring out what is junk and what isn't. :confused:

Aside from my pictures, mp3's and ringtones, I am not sure what else I will need to keep for the Inc.