Do I need to root to flash the Hero Rom?

Last Updated:

1. hmarcus

hmarcus Member This Topic's Starter

I was watching a YouTube vid and someone said that you do not need to root the Magic in order to put the Hero Rom on the phone.
    I just got my unlocked (AT&T) Rogers Magic and I was wondering if this is indeed correct?

Advertisement
  2. noonehereyet

noonehereyet No One... VIP Member

I do not know of any other way to change/mod or install ported builds other than rooting the phone....

3. Gordz

Gordz Member

i don't even know what rooting is, yet I flashed to sense no worries. Just download the SDK, download a recovery rom and a sense rom and go from there. mind you, you have to have the higher specced of the two magics. I wouldn't actually bother flashing to sense if you have the 192mb ram magic... IMO it wouldn't have enough balls. but yeah, if you got the right phone, it's a simple task!

if you have the lower specced magic and you're still keen to try Sense, you have to update your SPL, which greatly increases the chance of you bricking your phone :eek:

4. hmarcus

hmarcus Member This Topic's Starter

I have the Rogers branded one so I think I'm good.
    Would you mind telling me your process?

5. samuelmaskell

samuelmaskell Well-Known Member

yes, please..
    if you could make a detailed walk through that would be awesome
    I would love to have the Hero ROM but I'm really afraid of bricking my phone..
    I still have 2 years 11 months on my contract and I can't afford to buy a new phone off contract
    so if it really is that easy I could be really happy but sadly, I don't think anything ever is..

6. jeremy1216

jeremy1216 Member

I have contacted the Rogers for update on launching an update for the magic to use the new HTC Sense UI. They didn't have anything yet or may be waiting for the release from HTC. But I find a lot of post for doing the upgrade yourself like this:
    [Update 6-07]HTC Hero ROM for Magic by Fatal1ty - xda-developers
    I haven't try it myself though

7. samuelmaskell

samuelmaskell Well-Known Member

That says its for the Vodafone magic which is different from the rogers one.. and it requires root anyway so it's no help. There are tons of hero ROMs. Finding one is no problem. This thread is about doing it without root access.