Do I need To ROOT , to update my X10 ?General

Last Updated:

1. tarreq

tarreq New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey Guys ,

i'm new to Android , i just purchased my new X10 .

my question : do i need to root my X10 , in order to update to 2.1 ??

or just can i plug my usb cable and follow instructions to update to 2.1 ?
    (i mean instructions in the video by SE)

appreciate your help.

Advertisement
  2. X10iUser

X10iUser Well-Known Member

Hi.

No you don't need to be rooted to update to 2.1.

3. highaltitude

highaltitude Well-Known Member

Only if you want the update now. I for one, am waiting. I dont care that much to run out and make my phone a 10xi, use some other countries firmware just to get 2.1 which people seem to be griping about, and isnt even the newest firmware anyhow. I am new to the SE X10 phone and so far like it alot. I did root mine just to get some other apps but dont feel like going through the whole deal just to get an update early. Im glad others have though, because it they can figure out all the good/bad things about it. I have AT&T and am in the US so it may be quite a while before I see the update. Who knows, maybe I'll get bored and do it anyhow just for the fun of it.

4. dibberly

dibberly Well-Known Member

it all depends on what FW you have on your phone now.

If you have a FW that the 2.1 has been released (eg nordic or global)....then it will be updated via PCC / SEUS

if your FW has not been released then you either have to root and change the product code to one that has got the update, and then update your phone OR flash the phone with the 2.1 FW

If you want to change your product code via root:

http://androidforums.com/sony-erics...switch-nordic-2-1-your-regions-fw-easily.html

or

Flash your phone with new FW:

X10Flash 2.1 final & 2.1 Firmware (Updated Flasher 2.11.2010) - xda-developers

5. X10iUser

6. highaltitude

well thats good to know. BUt wont it be debranded or changed somehow? Like I wont still have an AT&T phone with global firmware will I?

7. X10iUser

Yes. If you're bothered about stuff like that wait for your carrier to release it. And it is the latest FW btw.

8. highaltitude

nah, not really bothered by it. I have all sort of my other devices hacked like Wii, my pc, etc. I just am going at it with baby steps. My wife does have an Iphone, but this is my first 'smart phone'. I had an SE w810i for 5 years!, LOL Does it change it to a 10xi though? Ive only had the phone like 3-4 weeks. I like to check it out for what it is first then change it all. :p

9. X10iUser

It does yes, but don't think it will be long before you're able to change it back like you could with the 1.6 FW's.