• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do I want an Android phone?

Do I want an Android phone?

• Yes, it sounds like it would meet your needs well

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • No, you'd probably be better off with a Blackberry (or a Jitterbug, you luddite)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Possibly, but you really need to try Android thoroughly out to make sure you like it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I think the Optimus is a great device with good battery life and it can do you well. The thing I think you will like best about android is that it incorporates google calendars and contacts so you will never miss anything. The screen is responsive no erratic behavior and you do not need to root your phone to think it is great. I have not rooted my phone (evo 4g from sprint) and I think it is a great device. Blackberry is a dummy phone which does nothing good on the internet while with select androids you can even get flash (that is only froyo 2.2).

It is a really good system and the phones are only going to get better and more advanced. There is no need for task killer application froyo killed the need for one. There are other cool apps and games that you will enjoy to make your smart phone truly yours.

I do not know where you heard that there is no consistency in the android world or it is laggy but that is completely false. Again since froyo came out no need for task killers android is programed to close inactive applications which take up memory to divert it where it is needed. Task killers were needed to free up memory however the only thing you can possibly need is a app that tracks the cycles of the cpu so that if there is an app using too much cpu it will tell you. But you would have downloaded some seriously bad and poor coded app

Upvote 0
By consistency he probably means fragmentation of android services, which is true. The large number of android phones mean it's difficult for developers to cater for the entire market. Obviously high end users are less likely to encounter this problem, but low end users will, and many of them are either just rude or plain ignorant of this issue.

Upvote 0
I'm guessing there was an actual OP at some point but it's impossible to answer this thread in any meaningful way with only the info I've quoted. Supply your needs/wants and priorities and we can help.

Blackberry is a dummy phone which does nothing good on the internet while with select androids you can even get flash (that is only froyo 2.2).
Every option has its pro and cons and the BB is no different. I doubt this is the case for the OP but in a corporate IT environment the BB ships with centralized device management out of the box as well as tight integration with Exchange (granted, BES is also required for both). From what I've seen, Android has yet to offer a physical keyboard that can compete with what BB offers. There are advantages to the BB platform but, as with any device selection thread, it depends on the needs/wants of the OP.

By consistency he probably means fragmentation of android services, which is true. The large number of android phones mean it's difficult for developers to cater for the entire market. Obviously high end users are less likely to encounter this problem, but low end users will, and many of them are either just rude or plain ignorant of this issue.
Low end iOS users also have to deal with "fragmentation" as is constantly pointed out in "fragmentation" discussions. It's nothing unique to Android.

Most criticisms regarding "consistency" in my experience have to do with the user interface and appearance of apps. I'm not entirely sure how to address this with people. IMO one person's "variety" is another's "lack of consistency" -- similar to many other things in life. If one likes the simple and slick interface of iOS then by all means go with it if that matters above all else. Again, we're back to personal preference.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones