Do I want pop or imap for gmail?Support

Last Updated:

1. Antmf

Antmf Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

And what do I set it on the web? For example when I go to gmail setting on my desktop can I leave impa enabled or should I disable it and go for pop?

Advertisement
  2. Edaze55

Edaze55 Well-Known Member

Do you have to have this for gmail? Im assuming you want all your mail in one place?

Personally, I'd use pop, but thats just me.

3. muzicman0

muzicman0 Well-Known Member

IMHO, IMAP is far superior to Pop3. IMAP will allow sync. For example if you delete a msg on one computer using IMAP, it will be deleted on all computers using IMAP. Read/unread tags sync. If you move an email into a folder (labels on Gmail), it will be moved into the same folder at all stations. If I remember correctly, IMAP uses less bandwidth as well.

mm0

4. HTCDroid

HTCDroid Member

If you can use IMAP (which you can) there is really no reason at all to use POP. Set up in the Gmail app on the phone, unless you really like HTC's mail app, since you will get push gmail using the gmail app (mail comes instantly, phone doesn't need to "check" every 10 minutes or so).

5. SDscorch

SDscorch Well-Known Member

agreed^^

in fact, when you're attempting to add accounts, it appears as if the hero actually prefers the IMAP option

its the first choice you get, like they're prompting you to select that option

i initially set everything up via pop - but then transitioned over to IMAP

never looked back