Do iPhone headphones have full functionality on EVO?Accessories

Last Updated:

1. rickyaustin

rickyaustin Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey,
    I've read about 15 threads here, most were speculation from before the Evo was commercially available — and am looking for a simple answer.

Will any of the iPhone headphones work with the Evo? And to what extent?
    iPhone 2G Stereo Headphones (with only the mic & clicky start/stop)
    iPhone 3G/3GS Earphones w/Remote & Mic (mic, clicky start/stop, volume control)
    iPhone In-ear headphones w/Remote & Mic (fancy version of normal ones)

Has anyone with the phone plugged their iPhone headphones in to see what works and what doesn't?

I know there are others on the market, but I'm used to these, and want to stay in the Apple family for my future iPad purchase if possible. I don't need high-end ones, used these things for years, would like to continue to.

Looking for feedback on:
    • 1. Do they play the phones sounds/music at all? (My assumption is yes)
    • 2. Does the click have functionality? Can it answer/end calls?
    • 3. Does the click start/pause music? Does double-click move to next song? Triple click to previous song?
    • 4. Do the volume controls work?

I'm really only looking for #1-3, but 4 would be a nice bonus. I've been on the original iPhone for 3 years, and don't want to change my habits if I don't have to. Plus, I have 2-3 pairs already lying around. So lemme know your findings!

Advertisement
  2. Mule Skinner

Mule Skinner Active Member

I'm curious of the answer to that myself. I couldn't find anything about supported headphones in the manuals that came with my Evo.

I've tried it with a couple of sets of standard (no control or mic) stereo earphones (one set being iPod earphones). Both seem to work OK with the radio, but the Evo's built-in media player app doesn't recognize them at all and keeps sending its sound output only to the back speaker. Pandora has the same problem. Perhaps there's a setting I'm missing somewhere, but I've been looking for it.

3. awesomerobot

awesomerobot Member

I can confirm that the headphones with the built-in mic that come bundled with the iPhone 3GS work with the EVO for calls - haven't tried much else yet.

4. Kingkoa

Kingkoa Well-Known Member

Yea can someone fully test them out? I hate bluetooths so I might have to go pick up a pair of iPhone headphones on amazon

5. dylan88

dylan88 Well-Known Member

this. however, they dont work for media controls.

6. Kingkoa

Kingkoa Well-Known Member

Can someone test fringe video chat with them and see if it still echos?

7. dylan88

dylan88 Well-Known Member

i used them last night. if the person you are in a chat with is not using headphones while you are, there is an echo. but the second he plugged in his headphones the echo went away.

8. Enellz

Enellz Well-Known Member

Not sure if the iPhone headphones work, but I brought some skull candy head phones with the Mic and such for my iPhone, and they work perfect with my evo. Even the Mic works, click once to play music, click twice to do voice dialing. They also sound much better than Apple's crappy headphones. I brought them at AT&T for forty bones a while back. Excellent head sets.

9. dvrdwn

dvrdwn Well-Known Member

I had them on today and was listening to iheart radio. the volume controls don't work but when i clicked the middle once the mp3s from my library started playing with the iheart in the back ground. i double clicked and voice mail was called. I didn't try anything else yet but will post when i try more later.

10. zadillo

zadillo Well-Known Member

I've got a pair of Klipsch s4i headphones (these are the newest type of iPhone/iPod/iPad headsets with the full click to play and volume controls).

With the default music app I can't seem to get them to do anything.

With Pandora, the middle button properly works for pausing and playing music - and as a bonus, double-clicking the middle button advances to the next track.

With the current version of DoubleTwist, the middle button pauses and plays, but the function to double-click or triple-click to advance or go back a track doesn't work. From looking in the DoubleTwist forums it sounds like this is something that was deleted from the current build because of a bug, and they promise it will be back in the next build.

As of yet I haven't found anything where the volume controls work though - I'm guessing this just isn't supported? As I recall the volume controls are fairly iPhone/etc. specific.

11. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure these don't yet work because the Android media player (and even some apps that use Android's base player coding) code does not yet support these features. One of the rumored fixes in 2.2 supposedly was that media player coding will now support traditional headphone with mic and remote commands. We'll see....

12. NeoteriX

NeoteriX Well-Known Member

Volume is iPhone specific.

On stock HTC media player, pause/play and double-click to advance will work, but sometimes you need to set the TTL setting to get it to work.

Doubletwist has pause/play functionality, but was removed in the most recent release. They hope to bring it back.

MixZing player supports pause/play as well as double click to advance tracks.

The FM player supports pause/play.

For MixZing and DoubleTwist, there is an option in the preference menu for the app to intercept headset multifunction calls; in order for the app to work, you must turn this on (and make sure any other competing app has it turned off).

13. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

I guess the bottomline is there still isn't aren't ideal Android-specific headphones yet.

I guess for now flawless start, stop, auto-pause-resume, skip+, and skip- are all I should expect.