1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Do it all movie player? (avi, flv, etc)

Last Updated:

1. GutiSteve

GutiSteve New Member This Topic's Starter

i am looking for a movie player app for android. something like the Totem Media player for ubuntu. i would like it to play files from my sd card AND stream. free would be ideal but willing to pay a little if nothing free can do this. avi and flv file support is a must. (not just streamflash but playback .flv files as well)

anyone know of a program like this?

Advertisement
  2. Ziani

Ziani Well-Known Member

I use nswPlayer free from the market that I watch mp4 files that I have put on my SD Card if thats any help :)

3. sho95

sho95 Well-Known Member

Why add a player when the droid stock player plays mp4:confused:

Oops I assume that you had a droid. Sorry

sajipnk likes this.
  4. Adzie91

Adzie91 New Member

Would love one to play all types of files!!! :(

5. RenoMD

RenoMD New Member

Anybody know of one that allows switching of embedded audio tracks in movies? I have a bunch of japanese/english videos that only play japanese because I can't switch :/

6. SuperBaby

SuperBaby Well-Known Member

I have never watched a video on my Hero. Do I need to convert (shrink down) the video? Can the player play the mp4 files (which I watch on my PC) directly?

john1923t likes this.
  7. bchris1981

bchris1981 Member

yxflash does avi but the free version only plays 2-3 minutes at a time :(
    also the paid version is not available on the marketplace, which is really odd...

I'd like to find another player (free) that plays AVI but so far can't find a single one free or otherwise! Isn't that strange?

8. Ziani

Ziani Well-Known Member

Yes but they need tweaking, there are posts on this forum that give suggestions. Alternatively download a program like DoubleTwist that convert files for phones, google for it.

9. powerbird101

powerbird101 New Member

I have been lurking around for the last 2 months trying to find a good media player on the android platform and have come to the conclusion that it doesnt exist... yet. Well now that the NDK is out and about im going to put some time and money into recompiling VLC's C++ Code to work in its glorious entitiy on android. I have a couple of friends who know C coding quite well so off the bat i feel that an open source app should stay open source and work in conjunction with other platforms. We have the tools and materials now its time to start to redesign and restructure it to work on the ARM system. Wish me luck.

10. awiserbud

awiserbud Member

YXflash works well, and thus far is the only AVI player i have come across (weeks of searching) that does the job,
    it displays full screen (auto rotate) and the full version is out there for free (how legit this is i couldn't say) ;)
    certain features dont appear to work on my X10, favourites etc, but otherwise it performs well with large files with hardly any glitches.
    doesn't appear to use a huge amount of battery life either, i managed to watch 2 complete movies on a recent flight using only half on the X10's very questionable battery life.

11. skimminstones

skimminstones Well-Known Member

awiserbud likes this.
  12. awiserbud

awiserbud Member

I had never heard of rockplayer until i joined this forum today, i've downloaded it, and i have to admit its better than yxflash. even in beta form. good stuff. long live open source software. :)

13. DNL

DNL New Member

Great job, works flawlessly on desire! This is what I was waiting for, definitely better than yxplayer, waiting for final release.

14. Federer

Federer Well-Known Member

I have rock player on my evo and its great

15. Drhyde

Drhyde Well-Known Member

Only problem I have found is 720p content tends to run slow. Lower resolutions run pretty well but not quite at 24 fps or greater. I think it has to do with the way the N1 is set up or the hardware itself.

16. Goldy

Goldy Member

There is/was already an ARM version of VLC (albeit for WinMo) which I would assume some of that code is reusable, if you can find the source, as I think it became unsupported on VLC's website.

17. zanthal

zanthal Well-Known Member

I installed Rockplayer on my LG Optimus V, and it worked during a short test. There are supposed to be ads unless you purchase the registered version, but it looks like the 'ad' is really just a watermark in the upper left corner during the video that isn't very intrusive.

18. elisex

elisex New Member

I use MoboPlayer (plays all file types with no ads/watermarks) and stream from my laptop with GMote.
    I've only tried streaming over wifi and on my tablet, but I haven't had any problems with the video skipping or anything like that.

dreaded droid likes this.
  19. RazzMaTazz

RazzMaTazz Well-Known Member

The organization that did VLC Media Player (VideoLAN.org) has been working on a version for Android. No release date has been set.
    VideoLAN - VLC media player for Android

Until then, I'm using MoboPlayer for video and WinAmp for audio (though BoomBoxoid and PowerAmp play more types of audio files).

20. Usta

Usta Well-Known Member

While MoboPlayer is a very good one, there are other alternatives as well.
    For example, Vitalplayer is also quite capable all-in-one player.
    There is a special optimized version for Cortex A8 CPU phones (Desire, Desire HD, SGS, etc...).

21. ayoAyco

ayoAyco New Member

Hi!

I installed Mobo Player on my xperia x8 with android 1.6
    before starting, it asked me to install the codec package: armv6_vfp
    but even after doing so, Mobo Player still wouldn't start. :(

Can anyone help me, please?

22. dofdiamond

dofdiamond New Member

My media player Application - Run without Error, play video but no display ( only voice coming without video screen ), Share something related my error and share link and solution.

23. lucifer69r

lucifer69r New Member

umm try anydvd its a converter search the net for a key for it i use that to convert my videos for my htc wildfire:cool:

24. JulyDerek

JulyDerek Well-Known Member

MoboPlayer plays EVERTHING I throw at it. If something doesn't work, put the player in Software encoding mode.

25. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

I used to use MoboPlayer then I discovered MX Player. I just like it better. :)