1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Do not calibrate g-sensor!

1. arlrb

arlrb Well-Known Member

Did this the other day (running OS 2.2.1), results in permanent landscape mode.
    Only way to get it back to normal is a factory data reset.

I tried again straight after fdr (no apps, not sync'd with google etc) & did exactly the same.

Advertisement
  2. Gardium

Gardium Well-Known Member

Hmmm, now I'm not running 2.2.1, but are you sure it's not just your sensor that is faulty? Try looking at the actual "visual indicators" while you do the calibration. Usually they should "wooble" around the middle if it's correct, and you have put your phone flat (PS! remember the camera on the phone! I usually calibrate by putting the phone on a table, with the camera hanging out from the edge, that way the phone is 100% flat) :)
  3. arlrb

arlrb Well-Known Member

Only way to truly test it is someone else running 2.2.1 have a go.

Possibly the sensor, but it works perfectly prior to calibration, so that would suggest it isn't that.
  4. cat3584

cat3584 New Member

Hey

I'm new and I know it's a late response but I have android 2.2.1 on htc desire hd and my auto-rotate was working fine till one day I decided to calibrate the g-sensor, I didn't know what it was so pressed the button while just holding the phone in my hand to find out lol! Big mistake bcoz once this was done the auto-rotate was permanently on landscape! I hadn't a clue how to fix it until I read this thread. I'd tried placing it on a flat surface to recalibrate the g-sensor but it didn't work, but you mentioned the camera which I totally forgot about and when I placed the phone on a flat surface with the camera over the edge so that the phone was completely flat. I recalibrated and I am soooo pleased to say that it worked for me and my auto-rotate is back to normal! Yey! Hope this is helpful :)
  5. henkg

henkg New Member

I did recalibrate also.
    Afterwards only landscape view. Rather annoying.
    (And yes, I know: "if it ain't broken, don't fix it".)
    Then I switched off the phone, and back on.
    Afterwards the auto rotate was functioning again.
  6. unixslave

unixslave New Member

I did the same bone head thing.

Here's my fix, short of the FR.

Get the gps status and toolbox.

Lay the unit flat and using the tools in the toolbox, select
    calibrate pitch and roll.

When calibrating, leave it flat, and use the AVERAGEing button 2 or
    3 times. This seems to bring it back w/o a FR.
  7. redwizard75

redwizard75 New Member

Make sure you don't have any magnetic interference, such as a magnet clip case. I calibrated with the case on and it screwed my auto-rotate. I just fixed it 30 secs ago.....by removing the case housing my HTC Legend and G-Calibrating the display.
  8. Hamster24

Hamster24 New Member

i too had same problem the given way worked for meee