Do not use peep!

1. aptmx

aptmx Well-Known Member

Fellow Hero users,

I watched this video:

YouTube - Up and Close: Sprint Hero Part 2

I disabled Peep and I noticed an improvement with the overall performance of the phone. Apparently it causes major issues which results in poor performance and lag. Be sure to log out of the application! Then force stop it under settings --> applications. Then never open it again! I noticed a great difference in performance. I hope this helps everyone here. Oh and be sure not to use the HTC twitter widget either! That widget is linked to Peep.

Advertisement
  2. VoXHTC

VoXHTC Well-Known Member

I've been using it for about 2 weeks now with no problems, no exception errors or anything. I'm assuming the review was with a pre-release phone since he makes mention of "when the phone is released in october."
  3. aptmx

aptmx Well-Known Member

I did not have any exception errors either. However after signing out from the app and removing any trace of the program from the memory, I noticed a big difference in how smooth the phone was. Peep seemed to slow the entire phone down.
  4. VoXHTC

VoXHTC Well-Known Member

:rolleyes: Hmmm I must try this...
  5. sr1982

sr1982 Well-Known Member

What twitter app do you use now?
  6. andy22

andy22 Well-Known Member

I just shut peep down and immediately saw an increase in transition speed. I will look for more marked improvements as the hours go by.
  7. VoXHTC

VoXHTC Well-Known Member

Don't see much of difference, though it's only been about 5 minutes.
  8. Critical5

Critical5 Member

I too saw and instant improvement in speed.
  9. VoXHTC

VoXHTC Well-Known Member

I only have facebook and One extra mailbox connecting besides the default gmail app. It seems to be just as good. Maybe I got the super elite extra snazzy hero...fresh off the press?

I also just uninstalled Handcent Sms. Went back to the default txt app. I'm using the paid version of Advanced Task Manager to auto it every 30 minutes. going to see how that goes.
  10. cirehawk

cirehawk Well-Known Member

Is Peep running by default? I don't twitter, so is it something I still need to clear from one of the default scenes?
  11. VoXHTC

VoXHTC Well-Known Member

Peep is the integrated messaging app for the twitter widget. It's not running I don't believe in any of the.. oh hell I don't really know.. gah! :eek:
  12. puffx0r

puffx0r Active Member

No errors. And haven't noticed any performance issues on my phone...
    I agree with what some others have said in that he was using a pre-release phone that may have already been updated by the time it was released.
  13. Edaze55

Edaze55 Well-Known Member

Before I returned my phone, I always used Peep. I had over 65 hours of uptime and before the factory reset today I had 8% awake time.
  14. aptmx

aptmx Well-Known Member

I am glad other people are seeing a overall performance increase on the phone! Once again make sure you log out of the application, then go to settings, applications and select it from the list of applications. Choose clear cache, and force stop. Also do not use the built in HTC widget for twitter. After doing this never open it again, and you will see a noticeable boost in performance! I have been using twitdroid instead and it has a clunky interface but is much faster then peep anyway.
  15. Negrito

Negrito Well-Known Member

Does it stay closed with this method? I have tried killing the app/widget with TasKiller, and Task Control only for it to be running again 3 seconds later, every time!
  16. Ukyo

Ukyo Member

I just turned off Peep and installed Swift Twitter. When I was force closing Peep, it was using 7.60MB!! Glad I turned it off.
  17. imneveral0ne

imneveral0ne Well-Known Member

same here, this task cant be killed! lol
  18. sir_knoxalot

sir_knoxalot Active Member

Well, I guess only time will tell. When I shut it off it was only using 64KB so who knows. He was reviewing it before it came out so maybe HTC did fix it?

I must say, phone actually does seem to load apps a lot faster. I use Task Control and it still says Peep is running but I did logout and clear cache and have not loaded it. So all in all, thanks for the find!

Gotta love the community!
  19. Negrito

I checked it out and this method doesnt keep it closed either. :mad:
  20. Ukyo

Ukyo Member

If you don't sign in, it should at the very least help by not checking for new tweets... not sure how much that'll help though...
  21. imneveral0ne

imneveral0ne Well-Known Member

lol i dont even use twitter. i dont want peep on my phone even :p
  22. Negrito

Agreed.
  23. bottlecap

bottlecap Well-Known Member

How did you accomplish this?
  24. derspiess

derspiess Well-Known Member

Hmm, it may be a psychological effect, but my Hero does seem to run a bit faster. I guess I'm one of the few that never found Twitter all that compelling in the first place.
  25. vwvapor

vwvapor Well-Known Member