Do not use the Plantronics 230's charger for EVO

Last Updated:

1. skpd

skpd Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I charged my phone overnight (from 9:14 to 5:45) with the phone off. I used the Plantronics Bluetooth 230's wall charger (the free bluetooth that came with the EVO from BestBuy).

It is almost 7 am right now and the phone is at 81% with very light usage (maybe 10 minutes of GPS and about 3-4 minutes of browsing over 4G).

The other thing I noticed Sunday morning aftert I charged the phone with the same Plantronics wall charger over night with the phone on, was that, in the morning the LED on the EVO was still orange indicating that the battery is not fully charged.

Also see my THREAD HERE about the phone lasting 24 hours after I have charged it with the wall charger of a Samsung Rant.

My Conclusion : it looks like the charger of the Plantronics Bluetooth is not suitable to charge our phones.

Anyone else have experienced with this yet?

Advertisement
  2. Crimson01

Crimson01 Well-Known Member

I haven't tried the charger, but I can't for the life of me get the plantronics to connect to the evo. It paired ok, but shows disconnected. Whats the deal?

3. Nem_Zero

Nem_Zero Well-Known Member

I tried it. It only charges for the split second after you plug it in. After that, nothing. I'm starting to think I fried my bluetooth using a car charger (that will charge an EVO) to charge the plantronics because it won't turn on anymore (light turns on when charging though). Pretty sure I'm just noobing it up with the bluetooth though.

4. EVO-DROID

EVO-DROID Well-Known Member

I have that same issue. I have like 4 bluetooths around my house all work fine, so did the one that came with my evo but now all of a sudden it dont work? I am taking it back to bestbuy and getting me a new one.

5. RiverOfIce

RiverOfIce Banned

same here, as I reported in a early thread, it seems that bluetooth chargers get bent in the head set and then stop working.

6. RiverOfIce

RiverOfIce Banned

lol, ok guys. Ready to feel like idiots? I sure do! The charger for the blue tooth head set? Yea, do not use it. It is a 5V 180mA charger. That is like 1/5 the amps as the normal charger.

skpd, Levi, BRIVERS73 and 1 other person like this.
  7. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn Guest

I was waiting for that. It takes long enough to charge as is :)

8. GoldenStatePanda

GoldenStatePanda Well-Known Member

Thanks for clearing that up roi.

What's the voltage we should look for when getting a charger?

9. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn Guest

All micro-usb chargers wool be 5v. Its the mAMPS you have to look at, the higher the "better".

10. rockman1117

rockman1117 Well-Known Member

Higher means faster. The more current drawn, the faster it can charge --- hence why the BT one was so slow.

11. RiverOfIce

RiverOfIce Banned

1000 mA or 1 amp, same thing, is what the normal evo charger is. So that would be the default i would look for.

12. wega1985

wega1985 Active Member

Yeah, I've had a hard time finding the aftermarket chargers to be a full 1 amp. I don't really want to wait double the time when I know the phone can support a faster charging rate.

I had great luck with the Palm Pre chargers (which are 1A) , so I just picked up a couple more.

$9.79 for a brand name charger seems decent: Palm Pre Pixi Plus OEM Original Charger Micro USB Cable - eBay (item 290398442327 end time Jul-02-10 13:22:00 PDT)

My Best Buy still had a few Pre car chargers left for $30, but can't find any on eBay, and most sellers don't specify the current ratings on the cheap aftermarket chargers.

13. djdisturbed

djdisturbed Well-Known Member

The after-market micro-usb charger that radio shack sells that has a cord attached AND a 2nd usb port on it works GREAT. I got it last year for my pre and its works well for it, my ex's moto cliq and my evo.