Do only some apps use WiFi?Support

Last Updated:

1. jtpryan

jtpryan Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Yesterday I was at a friends house where there is absolutely no cell coverage. He asked me to check the weather so I connected to his WiFi and tried both the WeatherBug and The Weather Channel apps. Both returned no data errors. We were all about to eat dinner so I didn't bother checking anything else.

Do only "native" apps use WiFi, or was something else wrong? This is a Droid 1.

Advertisement
  2. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter Administrator Moderator

All apps should work as normal on wifI. Would suggest making sure that internet was working to be sure it wasn't a problem with the router or your phone. Have you used wifI before?

3. jtpryan

Yes, their internet connection was fine, and in fact connected with their laptop over wireless. I was the one that set this network up at their house so I know the password, etc. I had an IP address in their scope, not apps would not see anything.

-Jim

4. NightAngel79

Can you connect to other wifi spots? Check firmware on router?

5. jtpryan

Yes, I see no problem with the connection. I have a couple of apps that report it being solid. I can run ipconfig and I have an address. But the apps just don't seem to use it.

-Jim

6. Palmetto Fellow

Palmetto Fellow Well-Known Member

You said you ran out of time for extensive testing.

I would try to simply surf/browse to see if that works. If you phone is connecting properly to the WiFi and broswing data works...it seems that something else is wrong...

I suspect however that even browsing wouldn't work...and I doubt the browser would be a non-WiFi app...

When you have more time...do all sorts of tests.

NightAngel79 likes this.
  7. NightAngel79

Gonna move this to the Droid 1 support section to see if you get more responses...... almost sure this has nothing to do with the apps. I think it is a router or phone problem. If you disagree or through testing find out different then PM me or any other mod/guide to have your thread moved to the best place.

Thanks