1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

do programs keep running in background? how to stop all.Support

1. Atroa

Atroa Member

like in windows mobile , and even on windows in general.. if u exit out of programs (for the android on many apps etc. u just gotta hit the back button, not knowing if the program is still running or not) sometimes they keep running and u can go to your task manager or whatever and stop all programs.. thus keeping the processing speed of your machine smooth and on point. whats the story with android based machines? i like my stuff running the best of its ability so this seemed to be a pretty proper qustion for this forum.

thanks

Alex

Advertisement
    :
  2. drustvold

drustvold Well-Known Member

The way the Android OS handles programs is pretty neat.

When you leave a program it records its state. Such as, what it was doing, if you typed anything, and even where you were at.

It then keeps this in active memory until another active program comes along and needs the memory/processor. At that point Android automatically shuts down the furthest from use program.

When you go back to that program it starts again, loads the save state and it looks like it never shut down, even though it may have.

Heres a video that shows how that works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL6gSd4ugSI
  3. Dimath

Dimath Active Member

The knowlage can be taken from here - your "back" button is actually the "close application" button :)
  4. onthefence

onthefence Well-Known Member

for what it's worth, i noticed when i power cycle the phone it clears the "app memory," not that you would want to do that often anyway.
  5. Atroa

Atroa Member

Drustvold, that was a Very VVVVERRY good video that answers the exact question i had, thank you for finding this video and thanks Dimath and OnTheFence as well for their input as well.

Alex
  6. C-Rex

C-Rex Member

second that, thanks!
  7. willamlholla

willamlholla Member

Yea 2 min into it my question was asnwered ... we no want resouce hogg lol
  8. MarvinAndroid

MarvinAndroid Well-Known Member

Thanks drustvold... that was good info... and something that has been bugging me since I got my G1. It's interesting to see how Android handles that.
  9. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

I shut mine off once a day, usually while I'm eating, and turn it back afterwards.

I think it helps.
  10. rhcpcjg

rhcpcjg Member

i switched from an iphone to the g1 and i love the g1's multi tasking capabilities, Cant wait for the next android devices..
  11. HTC

HTC Well-Known Member

the more you know :)
  12. joedigital

joedigital New Member

Just got an Incredible...

Is there a gesture to bring up the list of running apps from which I can select the one I want or is it always required to touch Home then run the app?
  13. wbiggers

wbiggers New Member

To see the running aps, press and hold the home key/button. (Do you still say 'press' when it is a touch screen??? - how about ... touch and hold on the home icon.