Do the factory reset after updating to ICS!Tips

Last Updated:

1. Ridgerunner665

Ridgerunner665 Well-Known Member

I know that idea has been thrown around on here since the OTA...but...

My phone seemed to be working fine without doing the reset, but I did it anyway (2 days after the update) and I'm glad I did...

Several little things came to life on my phone after the reset...all my apps were restored by Google, as well as my contacts and everything...no good reason not to do the reset.

It did make a difference...

Advertisement
    waterproofed, FragDroidX and JRJ like this.
  2. Jerzie

Jerzie Well-Known Member

I found this to be the case for me as well. Did it a few days after and what a difference. Highly recommend.
  3. digdug1

digdug1 Well-Known Member

im glad you made this post. ive been saying this over and over lol. there would be a lot less negative posts about ics if everyone would follow your advice :)
  4. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

I'll fourth this! :D
  5. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

I reset mine the second it rebooted from the ICS install and my phone is much much smoother than it was on Gingerbread. Battery life is about a day to a day and a half.
  6. Drekkyk

Drekkyk Active Member

Mine seems snappy with good life. Should I reset? What's the procedure and expected outcomes in doing so?
  7. monicakm

monicakm Well-Known Member

"Smooth"? As in it scrolls smoothly? Since doing a factory reset after ICS, the scrolling feature is somewhat jerky or hesitant. When I click on, say, apps to bring up all the apps, there is a waiting period (black screen with a "I'm working on it" icon. Lots of pages don't "pop" on the screen. I'm also getting a lot of disconnects, no service, modem bars are lower. How good (or bad) is Verizon about acknowledging problems and getting fixes sent out?
  8. HTTR

HTTR Well-Known Member

What do you lose by doing this? I assume all settings but your apps remain?
  9. monicakm

My apps did NOT remain. I thought I had taken care of that before the reset by downloading a program called AirDroid. I thought it was supposed to back up your apps to another device (in my case, my laptop) and then I could transfer them back to the phone. Either I misread the description or couldn't figure out how to trasnsfer them back to the phone. Also thought Google stored them but did the AirDroid thing as a backup. I did make a list tho and ended up having to redownload them all.
    Called tech support this morning. Agent was having all the same problems I mentioned. He said there will be some updates soon. Here's hoping!
  10. irishjoeyo

irishjoeyo Well-Known Member

What process are people using to do the post-ICS update factory reset? Is there a best process?
  11. Ridgerunner665

Ridgerunner665 Well-Known Member

I did the factory data reset...settings, privacy, factory reset...select to erase all data.
  12. lmarsh21

lmarsh21 Well-Known Member

What if you're rooted and want to do the factory reset? Will you loose root after that?
  13. rnlcomp

rnlcomp Well-Known Member

When I reset mine I still had root.
  14. rnlcomp

rnlcomp Well-Known Member

irishjoeyo likes this.
  15. Lars

Lars Well-Known Member

Go to play.google.com from a pc and then click on my android apps in the upper right. From there it will tell you what you had installed and you can remote install what you need.
    waterproofed and DDG like this.
  16. carracerz14

carracerz14 Well-Known Member

You never lose root with a factory reset
    gemini846 likes this.
  17. chris4x4

chris4x4 Well-Known Member

I didn't do a factory reset when I installed I c s on my phone and everything is running smooth and functions properly.
  18. monicakm

Thanks for the tip! I hoping tho that I could have backed them up so I wouldn't have to waste any of my 2GB data limit.

19. heyjoojoo

heyjoojoo Well-Known Member

Agreed with everyone. I couldn't figure out why so many random quirks were happening on my device following the ICS installation. After doing a reset and allowing it to install that way, suddenly things that were giving me problems were no longer causing problems.
  20. kingnut

kingnut Well-Known Member

noob here, just to clarify. you guys are getting the OTA ICS update and then resetting your phones back to factory (non ICS) or resetting back to brand new ICS? please unconfuse me.
  21. Helloneumann

Helloneumann Well-Known Member

After you update to ICS Ota you factory reset. The factory reset keeps you with ICS, you just get a clean slate.
  22. McIrish2

McIrish2 Member

I agree about doing a factory reset. it cured all sorts of little issues I was having. Sure, it takes some extra time to reset it all back to how you had it, but I found it to be worth it.
  23. HookEmHorns*UT*

HookEmHorns*UT* Well-Known Member

I also recommend a cache wipe with a factory data reset!
    To wipe the cache on a droid razr that is NOT rooted:

1. Turn the phone off
    2. Press and hold the power button and that vol up AND vol down keys all at the same time untill it loads into the screen where you can select "recovery"
    3. Use the vol down key to highlight "recovery" then use the vol up key to select it
    4. Wait for it to boot up (not pressing anything) untill you see an Android and a ! Inside of a triangle.
    5. Once that screen appears, press the vol up and vol down key at the same time
    6. It should load the recovery menu, press the vol down key to get down to "wipe cache" then use the power key to select it
    7. When it is done, go to "reboot system now" and select it with the power key.

And thats it, no root needed
  24. iploya

iploya Well-Known Member

Did this yesterday, and so far the only difference I notice is the contacts icon is less intuitive (a stitched-leather swatch of some sort?), and I can't find the Search Contacts program/icon I had before as a shortcut (not sure if it's part of the former OS or of an app I haven't re-installed).
  25. chrisco78

chrisco78 Member

I'm getting ready to do this as well. What will I lose in the process? I backed up my medias & apps, but is there a way to keep my texts after? TIA...