Do these chargers work?Support

Last Updated:

1. leehuynh

leehuynh New Member This Topic's Starter

Jul 16, 2010

I have a question regarding two chargers I have; will they work with my Sprint HTC Evo? I am aware that the manual states I should only use chargers from Sprint / HTC, but as many people do, I am considering 3rd party accessories.

The first wall charger is an adapter that I used with my Palm Treo 755p. It has a USB plug, so I am wondering if I can just take a micro USB cable and reuse the adapter. The difference in the specs between this one and the charger adapter that came with my Evo is that the Output says 5v/400mA for the Palm charger, and on the Evo charger, the output says 5v/1A .

Palm Charger Wall Charger Adapter (plugs with a USB cable)
    Input: 100-240v, 50-60Hz
    Output: 5v =:= 400mA

The second wall charger (with built-in cable) I got from Amazon. The item is listed as part of a package. If you look at one of the reviews, the person stated that the Sprint Tech Center says the adapter will void the warranty. Now, I know that using any non-Sprint / non-HTC charger voids the warranty (even if it works), so I was wondering if the Tech Center was just saying that to as part of a policy.

Amazon / Accessory One Charger
    Input: 100v-250v, 47-63Hz
    Output: 4.2v-12.5v, max 1000mA

For reference, here are the specs on the charger that came with my Evo.

Official Evo Charger
    Palm Charger Wall Charger Adapter (plugs with a USB cable)
    Input: 100-240v, 50-60Hz
    Output: 5v =:= 1A

So, can I use either charger? I do not know electronics very well, but feel free to throw scientific terms at me, as I can look things up if necessary to understand things.

My thanx in advance.

2. jayjay1122

jayjay1122 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Not an EVO owner but I use so many different chargers for my Incredible that I cannot imagine you would have a problem.

-Nightstand charger is Plantronics
    -Car charger is Motor Trend (yeah I know but it was cheap at Autozone)
    -Kitchen counter charger is LG
  3. RiverOfIce

RiverOfIce Banned

Mar 30, 2010
    Please do not use this charger. Please. It will damage your phone. It sounds like it is going to auto select your Voltage depending on connection. This can and will fry your phone. Electricity has a tendency to fluctuate. When the electricity levels dip, this charger will auto correct, pumping more Volts into your phone. When the energy level go up, it will take time to correct. With a single Volt system, this is expected, but with the above charger it can load alot of volts at one time.

I would send it back. Find something with a standard 5V-500mhz to 1000mhz rating. But that is just me.

IF you go under 500mhz it will take a long time to charge. 400mhz is fine. But you need above 300mhz or the phone will not charge at all.
    leehuynh likes this.