Do Velocity\Raptor use more RAM than the stock ROM...

Last Updated:

1. flyinjoe13

flyinjoe13 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I need to start this by saying I am in no way knocking the developers of either Velocity or Raptor because I love the look and overall performance of both, but i've noticed one thing after using both of them. I hope there is something I can do or something i'm missing so that I can go back to one of them.

I get horrible memory usage from both custom ROMS compared to what I get with the rooted stock ROM. For instance, with the stock ROM, when I open up the browser and then check my available memory, i'll have something like 60mb+32mb available. Doing the same thing with the browser in either Velocity or Raptor, I get more like 38mb+25mb available. And this is viewing the same website with each after a fresh reboot of the phone so I have not started running anything else. The same thing happens with other apps as well. There is a huge difference in the memory usage from the stock ROM vs. the custom ROMS.

Is there a reason for this? Could I have a setting wrong or something? Or do the custom ROMs just use a bit more memory?

The one thing I have noticed is that the custom ROMs do load a lot of apps on startup that the stock ROM doesn't load. For instance, Maps and Market always seem to start by default on Velocity and Raptor but they don't on the stock one. If I kill them on startup it does help some, but I still use way less memory on the stock ROM and i'd like to try and figure out a why so I can use one of these custom ROMs.

Anyone have any ideas on what I can try?

Advertisement
  2. Vmanisme

Vmanisme Well-Known Member

The "38mb+25mb" is usage, so basically custom ROM's use less memory not more. Get a system information app from android and see the actual RAM available.

3. flyinjoe13

Are you sure about that?

Under the Running Services, my memory right now says Avail: 74mb+25mb in 7. Are you saying that is not my current available memory because it's labeled as Available? And this is the number(s) that are far less when I use a custom ROM. This is also the memory that increases when I autokill an app in the Manage Services section and decreases whenever I open an app. So to me it would seem this is what I have available, not what's being used.

4. flyinjoe13

Okay, I did what you said and downloaded a System Information app. I only tested this with rooted stock vs. Velocity because I don't have a backup of Raptor. I turned the phone off and back on with both ROMS and immediately opened up the System Information tool to check the available memory before doing anything else. Each ROM is setup exactly the same. Same apps I installed, same information in each app, same launcher, etc.

Rooted stock: 87mb available
    Velocity: 71mb available

I then opened up the browser and loaded the exact same webpage on each (this forum to be exact) and checked the available memory again.

Rooted stock: 72mb available
    Velocity: 59mb available

So on my phone, it seems my memory usage is far superior with the rooted stock ROM. So I go back to my initial problem. I really want to use either Velocity or Raptor because I love the theme of either one of them, but my memory usage on both is so bad that the phone gets laggy if I try to do anything with it other than one app at a time.

Does anyone have any ideas? Should I try to reflash?