• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do we need a "GPS" sub-forum?

Should the moderators create a new sub-forum for the Captivate "GPS" issues?

• Yes

Votes: 40 76.9%
  • No

Votes: 12 23.1%

• Total voters

ZDroid1

Android Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2010
So many people want to talk about the big Samsung F-up (aka GPS problems), and so many people just don't want to hear about it.

Would you recommend that the mods create a new Captivate sub-forum for the GPS problem?

What would you call it?

My vote is Yes and I would call it "Captivate GPS problems". This should satisfy both sides: the opposing side gets to ignore it completely, and the proponents get to amplify it with its own subcategory and no one would complain about them "whining" (I'm one of the "whiners").

I personally would insist on a title with a negative connotation (like 'problems'), and let it be our humble effort to increase the public awareness of the problem so Samsung gets the message and our complaints serve a purpose using this public forum.

ZDroid1 said:
My vote is Yes and I would call it "Captivate GPS problems". This should satisfy both sides: the opposing side gets to ignore it completely, and the proponents get to amplify it with its own subcategory and no one would complain about them "whining" (I'm one of the "whiners").

perfect idea!, im sure this isnt what they really want, to segment us, but it would be good.

p.s. didnt you say your gps is working perfect since the last update?

EDIT: i just read the p.s. and it sounds like im being an ass, im not, i am seriously asking, interested. sorry if it sounds like im being sarcastic

Upvote 0
perfect idea!, im sure this isnt what they really want, to segment us, but it would be good.

p.s. didnt you say your gps is working perfect since the last update?

EDIT: i just read the p.s. and it sounds like im being an ass, im not, i am seriously asking, interested. sorry if it sounds like im being sarcastic

It stopped working today. It worked perfectly yesterday. Now it's sporadic, often completely useless.

Upvote 0
I think this is a great idea, but I doubt the mods will create a subforum just for one issue that in thoery will be fixed (yea I know, I'm not holding my breth either). It would be like creating a sub forum related to issues with the recent update, that topic will only last so long.

In the mean time I have added all of the GPS related threads to the main sticky. But again I do think this is a great idea

Upvote 0
But we're flooding the main forum, often pushing other threads down the list.

Yeah, I guess so

I'm OK with it either way. I don't see pushing it down the list as that big a deal. If someone isn't interested enough to go through 2 or 3 pages, then they aren't that interested.

On another note, as has been pointed out often, the fact is a lot of the many posts could, and maybe should, have been replies in existing posts. I think part of the issue wiht that is so many users new to the forum, and with many of them new to Smartphones, then likely they are new to forum etiquette/use.

If Samsung would just fix the darned thing, it'll be a moot point anyway. I sure hope that happens soon.

Upvote 0
No. They're better off creating the "fanboy/I don't need that feature to work" subforum so all the fanboys can go talk about how they don't need their smartphone to function as a smartphone because they have dedicated GPS units or MP3 players or laptops, etc.

I want to see issues that relate to daily usage front and center.

I suggest an alternative name for your proposed subforum: "Captivate: We love you no matter what." lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones