Do widgets drain battery

Last Updated:

1. hockeyfreakb4

hockeyfreakb4 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

i have been avoiding all widgets except the clock because i want to squeeze every bit of battery out of my droid. but does any know (someone who has alot of experience with android phones) how much widgets really drain on your battery. i mean do they really make a difference, or is it minscule. any advice?

Advertisement
  2. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

When I look into my "Battery Use" under Settings, it doesn't ever have any widgets as a culprit of battery use, so this is a tough one to answer for me. The bottom line is: There are some widgets that I just can't live without. If you look at my "Widgets" screen (CLICK HERE), you'll see the 6 widgets that I use daily. Add in the Beautiful Home (clock/weather) widget on my homescreen, and the calendar and clock widget on the screen above my homescreen and that's 9 widgets running all of the time.

3. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about battery, but some widgets will definitely be the culprit of lagging.

One way to check is to install a widget then watch your awake time. If it doesn't let you phone sleep and keeps updating constantly, then i would assume it eats up battery. For example, I got rid of my Weatherbug app and widget. I'm not sure if it was the widget or the entire app, but it killed my battery. The Weather Channel widget only updates when I wake up my phone.

4. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

Depends on how well they are coded and how often they update.

5. hockeyfreakb4

hockeyfreakb4 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

right now i have pandora, music, beautiful home, vizbattery, mototorch, facebook freememory, and power control. i will prob have more when 2.1 comes out and i get more home screens but i ran outta room. are any of these known to drain battery.

on a side note, anyone know any cool widgets because i havent found to many. maybe on thats like the current status of your phone (almost like istat on a mac) ie battery, processor, ram, ect.

6. chippy

chippy Well-Known Member

Beautiful widgets will show about 2% battery usage after a whole day on my phone, not enough to justify canning it IMO since other things have a much larger effect on battery life.

7. Icedemon

Icedemon Well-Known Member

You can set the 2.1 weather/news widget to update every half hour. It tells you that if you do that then it will drain the battery faster. So if you have widgets that's constantly pulling data then it will eat up the battery.

+1 with the people up above

8. kkwan77

kkwan77 Well-Known Member

Anything that is running on your phone will drain battery. With that being said, widgets will drain your battery as some do multiple updates thus using more resources which require more battery juice.

9. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Well-Known Member

The Droid does not show wake time like the Eris does.

10. otter

otter Well-Known Member

never mind