• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do you all Remember When?

N00B Moment

Nov 14, 2009
When the Moment first came out and it was going head to head with the Hero to be Sprints flagship device? LOL I remember people argueing that the Moments got the 800mhz processor and the Hero has more RAM and it was so funny that both of these POS (piece of chit) phones were hot. Now that I have moved on, left Sprint and my Moment behind I look back and find all this funny. The Moment turned out to be the biggest phone failure I have heard of.. . . . and to think I used to think it was a bad a$$ phone.

Now before you guys think Im just trying to start crap, Im not. Im not trying to down current Moment owners and make fun in anyway. Cause I too was stuck with that phone ever since it got released up untill 2 weeks ago. And just an FYI to you current Moment folks. . . . . let it go. Once you get a real device thats not full of bugs and laggy and everything else thats wrong. You will be ABSOLUTELY AMAZED at what you have been missing.

Yeah, I remember that.
I remember thinking that anyone that was on Sprint and got a hero was ******ed since the moment was such a better phone.
open mouth
insert foot.

I kinda like the challenge it has been to get it to work right, but it would be nice to just have things work.
my brother is on verizon and has an old droid. not even a brand new one. not an upgraded one. just an old, basic droid and his stock, non-rooted phone out performs my modified in pretty much every way moment hands down.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I remember that.
I remember thinking that anyone that was on Sprint and got a hero was ******ed since the moment was such a better phone.
open mouth
insert foot.

I kinda like the challenge it has been to get it to work right, but it would be nice to just have things work.
my brother is on verizon and has an old droid. not even a brand new one. not an upgraded one. just an old, basic droid and his stock, non-rooted phone out performs my modified in pretty much every way moment hands down.

My roommate does also. It's so much better in every way.

Upvote 0
update!

So I've been running the latest ROMs, EB28. Its android 2.2.2.
I'm not exaggerating here, it has turned this phone into the phone that we all thought we were buying.
GPS finally works.
Wifi tether is great.
battery life is over 20 hours with moderate to heavy use. (many are reporting 27-32 hours and those reporting 12-15 hours are in low signal areas, but even 12-15 is still twice what we were getting before EB28)
The phone very very rarely ever crashes and I'll be honest, when it does crash, it is usually my fault.
I personally leave wifi on all day, brightness 100%, GPS on all day, I average 100 texts a day, and average 30 minutes of talk time every day and I'm getting at least 15 hours out of this thing.
Even "loaded down" with apps, I'm still getting 400+ quadrant scores and 9+ linpack scores.
Many people have more aggressive set ups than I do and get in the mid 500 quad and 9.5+ linpack.

If you haven't rooted your phone yet, you NEED to.
It isn't hard.
it isn't scarey.
You do more complicated things just surfing the internet.
It can be done in less than an hour.
And unless you do something dumb like yank the USB our half way through a flash, it is very hard to actually brick your phone since all you have to do is re-flash using your computer and you're back to the beginning with no problems.

Upvote 0
Virtually every device no matter how good (or bad) will eventually be viewed as "that old POS". How on earth did we ever live with that thing that didn't have _________ and had a ________? Eventually, if you wait long enough it will become a beloved memory and even recover its value (if you kept the box). The Moment was my introduction to Android, it was flawed (like every phone I've owned) but in the end I learned and had fun. I hope Samsung learned too (they didn't seem to with the Epic)!!

Upvote 0
i hear you about the EPIC.
although, with the new releases, a lot of the problems have been taken care of.
Still have some physical build issues.
And all around, the phone could physically be a better phone. But I've not had problems with mine since I got it. (only a week at this point) but i've tried to stress test it pretty good and so far, no problems.

So hopefully, samsung is learning.
It would be nice if they could produce a well built phone, that also functions. Something HTC quality or better.

Upvote 0
When I first got my moment(couple days after it came out), I really liked it, I wanted it to be faster, but who doesn't! I liked going to new roms and seeing the speed increases and the new features and after swapping out the phone for one with working GPS it was great! But now, I'm sick of it. 100% completely sick of the 'phone'. I shouldn't have to reinstall my apps once a month because of a new rom or a forced reset is required just to maintain the thing. I've stopped installing any apps, the most i've done is install google sky, anything else and it pees itself.

The end button will disconnect a call, it'll bring up the menu to power off the phone, but it will no longer put the phone to sleep. Text messages take 5-10 seconds to switch between conversations, the phone is in the red by the time I get home around 6 so I can't even use it for photos of the little one(this is with 6-7 texts being sent and maybe 10 mins of talk time). I have everything turned off from facebook to latitude to try and increase battery life.

Saw an accident the other day, got my phone out immediately to call 911 and by the time it woke up, went to the dial screen, and actually let me do anything someone else was already off the phone with them. This thing is ridiculous and it just gets worse as time goes by. My WiFi doesn't even work anymore! It'll turn on but hasn't seen a wireless network in months. Not that it matters, pulling up stuff on the net with this phone is the best way I know of to end up with a dead battery in about an hour and so frustrated with it because of how slow it is to wanna trash the thing.

The only thing that I still love about this phone is the display and the keyboard, which is what brought me to it in the first place. I'm done with Android altogether and am going back to Windows. I had my original Motorola Q(WM5) for 4 years before I got this thing and not a day has gone by lately that I don't wish I still had it. At the very least it was a GREAT phone.

And it isn't just my Android phone that messes up either, my friends EVO force closes something with Android and reboots itself losing all its text messages, another friends Eris crashes and reboots every other time she tries to take a photo and all of us have dead batteries by the end of the day with little to no usage.

Upvote 0
When I first got my moment(couple days after it came out), I really liked it, I wanted it to be faster, but who doesn't! I liked going to new roms and seeing the speed increases and the new features and after swapping out the phone for one with working GPS it was great! But now, I'm sick of it. 100% completely sick of the 'phone'. I shouldn't have to reinstall my apps once a month because of a new rom or a forced reset is required just to maintain the thing. I've stopped installing any apps, the most i've done is install google sky, anything else and it pees itself.

The end button will disconnect a call, it'll bring up the menu to power off the phone, but it will no longer put the phone to sleep. Text messages take 5-10 seconds to switch between the, the phone is in the red by the time I get home around 6 so I can't even use it for photos of the little one(this is with 6-7 texts being sent and maybe 10 mins of talk time). I have everything turned off from facebook to latitude to try and increase battery life.

Saw an accident the other day, got my phone out immediately to call 911 and by the time it woke up, went to the dial screen, and actually let me do anything someone else was already off the phone with them. This thing is ridiculous and it just gets worse as time goes by. My WiFi doesn't even work anymore! It'll turn on but hasn't seen a wireless network in months. Not that it matters, pulling up stuff on the net with this phone is the best way I know of to end up with a dead battery in about an hour and so frustrated with it because of how slow it is to wanna trash the thing.

The only thing that I still love about this phone is the display and the keyboard, which is what brought me to it in the first place. I'm done with Android altogether and am going back to Windows. I had my original Motorola Q(WM5) for 4 years before I got this thing and not a day has gone by lately that I don't wish I still had it. At the very least it was a GREAT phone.

And it isn't just my Android phone that messes up either, my friends EVO force closes something with Android and reboots itself losing all its text messages, another friends Eris crashes and reboots every other time she tries to take a photo and all of us have dead batteries by the end of the day with little to no usage.

Dont be so quick to give up on android. Try the evo shift, i promise you'll love it. Everything just works on it as it should. There also a lot of other great android phones out there but i can fully back the shift from a great personal experience

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones