Do you Allow automatic updating on all apps?

1. MtnbikerChk

MtnbikerChk Well-Known Member

I'm on the fence. Generally I don't - but On any given day there will be a bunch of apps to update.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Bren S.

Bren S. Well-Known Member

I don't allow auto updating ever on any of my apps.
    (I have unlimited data as well.)
  3. Methos1979

Methos1979 Well-Known Member

4. annebrooks64

annebrooks64 Well-Known Member

I have unlimited data so yes I just let them auto update.
  5. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Well-Known Member

No. I want to know what they are updating first. Some aren't necessary. If you have a keyboard that just added a Chinese dialect, and you don't need it, why bother?
  6. mills2533

mills2533 Well-Known Member

x2

If an app is working the way I like it to work, why let the dev mess it up! I also use a tablet for some children's apps for my son and devs will often sneak in some really offensive ways to make money off of children using ads or in app purchases once their app has become "popular". So, it can be beneficial to stay on older versions at times.

7. MtnbikerChk

MtnbikerChk Well-Known Member

Ok thanks. Thought I was in the minority!
  8. Fox Mulder

Fox Mulder Well-Known Member

No.
    Sometimes an update will break an app, either partially or completely. I like to see what the update contains, then make a backup of the current version with Titanium Backup before allowing the update to proceed.
  9. itsallgood

itsallgood Well-Known Member

No. I usually check for updates every other day or so. I like to read what the update are for and what current reviews say about the update. Most of the time, the updates are fine. There have been times that I had to revert back to the previous update, because I didn't like the update. I back up the apk files of all my apps using Appsaver.
  10. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Well-Known Member

Another no. I wait to see if there are issues etc. first.
    mikedt likes this.
  11. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Well-Known Member

No, for two reasons.

First, I don’t want any unknown drains on my battery life throughout the day; they can wait until I’m plugged in at home.

Second, there are three apps I cannot allow to update for space reasons on my teensy Optimus: Maps, YouTube and Voice Search.
    mikedt likes this.
  12. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

Nope as well. Unnecessary drains on the battery in the middle if the day is a big no no for me. Plus I want to know what they are changing.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Tapatalk 2
    mikedt likes this.
  13. iwin

iwin Member

No, I don't.
  14. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Nope, because I want to look at what's been changed before doing the update, e.g. the latest release of an app might now have AirPush ads or something worse, or a useful feature might have been removed.
  15. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member

Same here - nothing is allowed to update automatically and I check what has been changed before updating.

Though being rooted, if I don't like an update I can just restore the previous version from Titanium Backup ;)
  16. GrenW

GrenW Well-Known Member

None of them.

I can't remember ever not updating any but I'm interested to see what has changed and doing it manually is the best way to do that
  17. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Well-Known Member

I never did until about a month ago, then I decided to let them auto update. As soon as I did that, FoxFi did its update that changed it from a free app to a paid app and reduced functionality of the app unless it was purchased. Normally I pay for apps that I use, but there appears to be no hope for FoxFi with Jelly Bean, so I don't want to pay for that one. Anyway, just after I went to autoupdate FoxFi updated itself. After finding out about the changes, I immediately changed back to manual update. I'll make sure to not get that bug in my but again.

BigRedGonzo
  18. The Miki Show

The Miki Show Well-Known Member

FoxFi did that to me as well. Glad I back it up first. I pay for apps, but that update was just to sneaky for my taste.
  19. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member

I do auto updates. If permissions change the app will still need your permission. Then I go check what permissions changed.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 using Tapatalk 2